Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Might this have something to do with the decrease in social acceptability of hiring female dancers? I've been hearing for a while that people are tending to hire male folkloric dancers rather than a bellydancer for weddings etc due to the disapproval/threats of religious types, so perhaps that's also creating some more opportunities for male solo dancers. Just my vague guess based on what I remember reading about the situation in Cairo lately, I've no idea if it's a stab in the right direction or not...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I am crushed by your cynicism! I believe every word that falls from your lips and gather them in like, like... sweet water and fine wine to savor in the dry times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Safran View Post
    Well, the few male dancers that I did see perform publically in Sharm, were definitely copies of Tito. It might be because he worked in Sharm for a long time and had a strong influence (at least one of the dancers was from "Tito's group"), or the fact that his style is just more easily marketable. However, I think also TommyKing (HatemHamdy) has grown out of the Sharm-scene, and he has a completely different style. And he is really getting increasingly popular when it comes to dancer-oriented events.
    As I said before, Tito was not the only one, but the best known. Certainly he was in the best venue. I think you're right in that the current dancers are trying to fill his shoes. In much the same way that all the new dancers were emulating Dina when she was in her hayday.

With regards to Hatem. When you say he has grown out of the Sharem scene, do you mean in the context of the international seminar circuit or performing in Egyptian venues outside Sharem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roshanna View Post
    Might this have something to do with the decrease in social acceptability of hiring female dancers? I've been hearing for a while that people are tending to hire male folkloric dancers rather than a bellydancer for weddings etc due to the disapproval/threats of religious types, so perhaps that's also creating some more opportunities for male solo dancers. Just my vague guess based on what I remember reading about the situation in Cairo lately, I've no idea if it's a stab in the right direction or not...
    I don't think so. Simply beecause these dancers were never permitted to perform in Cairo nightclubs. Even though things have gotten more conservative you can still find female dancers at local street weddings too. But yes, there has been a rise in the use of male folk dancers and all the shabbi bands now have those groups of boy dancers. I guess we just have to wait and see what develops.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik Sultan View Post

With regards to Hatem. When you say he has grown out of the Sharem scene, do you mean in the context of the international seminar circuit or performing in Egyptian venues outside Sharem?
    I know he has definitely promoted himself in Sharm as the male oriental dancer (meaning general gigs), but I am not sure about outside it. I will be going to Nile Group in three weeks, and after that back to Sharm. So, I will probably be able to either ask him directly or just ask around for a better view of things...

Post Thanks / Like

About Hatem, I think he getting popular internationally. Not so in the US, but he went Japans several times already, and he has fans there. I also saw he was in some European countries when he posted photos on Face Book.

I think his more ballet/ Jazz influenced style are attracted to Westerns/ Far Easterners. I guess for non Arabic speaking people, easy to follow his style - dance with beat and technic oriented style. Also he can do some fusion with roller skate, or/and Broadway style so, maybe that also attracted to people. Maybe his unique costume too? I don’t know..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12