Why bra tops??

Amulya

Oh yuk, no! My worst was dancing while it was pouring down rain and the 'dance floor' was just the ground and had turned into mud. Never again! Lucky I was wearing a good quality washable costume so it didn't damage it.

allinorah

Hopefully, Andalee won't mind me posting this, but I found this little gem in her Belly Dance at Any Size Newsletter: How to Make a Belly Cover.

BTW, to the OP: check out this website. Andalee is pretty amazing and put this website together with the Health at Every Size philosophy. There are lots of costume inspiration as well as articles written about costuming the plus size dancer.

Zumarrad

Just saw this:
I also saw a tutorial on how to make body stockings out of panty house so you could match it that way and just invest in clear bra straps.

I did that once and it wasn't a success... First it was nearly impossible to get into (and I was stick thin)

I find it hard to believe that you can't get into a pair of tights when stick-thin. I am obese and have no difficulty putting on pairs of tights. I am wearing some right now. They're not even special fat-person tights. The only thing I can think of is that you tried to make the stocking out of one leg instead of the "pant" area.

Here's what you do, if the tights are not fishnets (which are great because they don't have a seam): Cut off the legs. Cut off the crotch. Turn the resulting tube sideways and tack it to some underpants so the side seams go up your sides. Haul it up to under your boobs. Voila. Body stocking. It will slide down without hooks (well, it CAN slide down - I've managed to dance in one without slideage, but it usually slips down at the back) so if you add some little dress hooks to the inside bottom edge of your bra and eyes to the top of your tights, you're sweet. Clear bra straps or elastic will also help hold it in place. You can just hook the fabric if you can't be bothered with eyes.

These don't last forever but they're cheap and easy to replace.

Fishies are way better because they have no seams, and therefore all you have to do is cut the legs off, pull the top up and hook into the existing holes.

Amulya

Oh that's why it didn't work, I wanted seamless, so I tried to get into the leg of a pantyhose :think: (normal one, not fishnet)! Hahahaha :lol::lol::lol: I had no idea how to make one and had never seen one in real live up close, only in pictures and maybe in the distance on stage? There was no Internet yet, but we had a belly dance magazine that had tips on how to make costumes but never anything about belly covers.

Erik

I am obese

No, you're not. Zumarrad I saw your picture last year, and you're a big gal, but unless you have doubled in size since then you are not obese. If you want to see what an obese belly dancer looks like, I can show you what an obese belly dancer looks like. [And I never said that she wasn't beautiful. I only said that she was obese.] :D