My new teacher! <3

Farasha Hanem

As I guess most people know by now, I was blindsided when our troupe moved to a new studio and had to reschedule class on a night I'm not able to make. However, Darshiva offered to give me online Skype lessons, and I started last Tuesday evening! :D I'm very excited to have her as a teacher, and even more excited to FINALLY start learning Egyptian-style at long last. I love my troupe and my teachers, but I think the change is going to help me improve my dance. There's probably some unlearning I need to do first, but I'm willing to tear it all down and start from the ground up again. I'd rather make sure I've got technique down correctly, then I can work on my artistry.

Darshiva is a very sweet and patient teacher, and makes her instructions clear, even when I was having audio trouble. The mic kept cutting out, and most of the audio had some sort of weird feedback. Her gestures, along with what audio was coming through, was clear enough for me to follow along.

The audio wasn't the only problem---I'd lost my web cam and couldn't find it. It wasn't where I always keep it, so we just winged it without video from my side. During the lesson, I kept wishing Darshiva were able to see me so she could see what needed work. Then came the faff session (I looked up this word, because I didn't know what it was!). We improved (improv-ed? o_O) to Omda's "La' La'," and I quickly changed my mind and was greatful Darshiva couldn't see me! :rolleyes: :lol: I want to learn to improv so badly, because I am bad at it! :lol: If Dar could have seen me, I'm sure she would have thought, "WHAT the *COUGH!* is she doing???" :shok: :lol:

We worked on downward figure 8's and the 3/4 shimmy, plus Darshiva spoke about posture (which I'm going to have to have her go over again because the audio was really garbled at that point). She'll be going over the basics with me for the next four weeks, which I'm very grateful for. In my troupe class, we do drills, but there's a lot of emphasis on learning choreo for performances. I feel like my technique suffers for it, so it's a relief to not have that pressure right now.

Our next session is tomorrow, and I can hardly wait! :D

Last edited:

Bast

Yay for you Farasha!

I have a new teacher too, an interim teacher before I go to another class. I decided to keep a friend company and go to this beginners class before starting with my new intermediate class and I couldn't believe how much I learned in the first few classes.
Having a new teacher is a great opportunity to learn news ways of doing things, even the basics. Wish I tried it years ago :D

Darshiva

I'm very humbled by your praise, Farasha.

I just wanted to let you know that I have finally found a new microphone and initial tests show that it's pretty good, so hopefully no sound cutting out on you this time.

Now regarding the faff session. It's just improv time. I avoid use of the word 'improv' as it makes people seize up. "Faff" sounds like an excuse to mess about & have fun - and that's the approach I take with it in the classroom. Have fun, explore the rules, throw them out when they don't feel right and don't stress too much about it.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Have you found your web can Farasha:D If not & your birthday is close get hubby to buy you a new one;) Glad you are enjoying your classes with Dar.
~M

Farasha Hanem

@Mosaic Yes, I found my webcam, but it's not the one I was looking for. The one I found doesn't stay on my laptop as well as my other one, but I'll find a way to make sure it doesn't fall off in the middle of Skype class! :lol:

@Darshiva I didn't know at first that "faff" was a British/Australian word for "messing around." At first, I thought it was a style of Egyptian dance I hadn't heard of! :redface:

Farasha Hanem

So glad you are finally getting the lessons you wanted!

So am I! :D Darshiva is a wonderful teacher!

I had my web cam this time, so Darshiva was able to see what I was doing. Everything was going fine, but then during the cool down, the audio completely died for no reason! I'm sure the two of us were a comical sight---Dar was exaggerating her movements so I could tell what she was doing, and I kept popping my head up from where I was on the floor so I could see what she was doing! :lol: My laptop was on my bed, so while I was on the floor, I couldn't see the screen. :redface:

Still, I had so much fun, and am learning a lot from Darshiva. After the cool down (? lol), we sat and talked for about 45 minutes or more. Darshiva is a sweet, lovely person, and I'm glad for the opportunity for not only learning from her, but also becoming closer friends. :) We all need to get together on Skype again real soon! <3

Darshiva

I agree, another skype session is definitely on the cards. And I have two weeks off from my Nhill classes coming up so perfect timing for me. And this time I'll be working on that infamous red galabeya.

MizzNaaa

OMG! I want in on these classes D: THAT"S SO AWESOME. Also I vote yes on the skype thing for all of us, ehm, If I may butt in. You all are such lovely ladies :3

Greek Bonfire

Wow, this is great! Farasha, I did not know of your situation but I'm glad it turned out so well! As far as "unlearning" you are very wise. I've taken classes with many different teachers - right now I'm taking them with Donna Diva, an old school only teacher, and Sabah Saheed, both similar yet Sabah is more modern - and I am so glad I followed that advice to "park your ego by the door." And Darshiva is definitely a great choice for Egyptian improv!

Darshiva

Make that one week off. Some of my students are helping out on Sunday by handing out my cards & telling people what my classes are like so they will be getting a mini workshop in their normal time slot at my home studio during the break. Madness? Probably, but what the hell. :)

Munniko

Very jealous of the fun you seem to be having! Although I'm really glad that everything is working out for you. o_O I feel like we should just have skype forum parties or something.