My grandfather's painting 'stolen'

Amulya

No he painted it, he was a painter, illustrator and photographer who travelled the world in times when not many people did, so he was able to document a lot of interesting and beautiful things :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
WOW! he was amazing Amulya, do you paint at all? or is your art in costume design & dance:) So what happened to the painting, is it actually lost or did you mean that the website stole a pic of it? I hope that one day you can have that painting in your home. I know I'd love it in mine:)
~M

Amulya

I used to paint as well but haven't done it in several years. I used to do all sorts of creative stuff, now I make jewellery. It changes from time to time what I do. I still draw every now and then.
I got several of my grandfathers drawings and paintings. I'm not sure who has this one now, I think that site has copied it out of one of my grandparents' books (they were writers/illustrators/photographers) they worked together :)
I also used to do writing but I didn't find myself good enough to continue and I'm not as good with painting and drawing as my grandfather was, he and my grandmother went to a really good art academy (they met there when they were 18), such academies don't exist anymore, I went to one and it was crap, they don't teach techniques and that was what I needed and wanted. Nowadays it's all about conceptual stuff but they don't care about technique. In my opinion that's the foundation of art. Knowledge of materials as well.

Amulya

In the meantime I found out where the painting from the first link is: on the wall in my cousin's house :) I posted a picture on Facebook and his girlfriend immediately recognised it :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I like that painting of your aunt, he was a very talented man. Good to know the original painting you didn't know where it was is "found" & still in the family.
~Mosaic

AndreaSTL

What a rich family history you have! I'm so glad that your family valued his work. I hate when families don't want any part of a member's art. It's just so sad to me.

Amulya

Yes that would be sad. I'm surprised how few people actually have things from their grandparents, nearly none of my friends have anything inherited. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Maybe people in Australia throw everything away before it can be inherited? People don't even have jewellery from grandparents. And I noticed that some people find it strange I'm attached to my grandparents things. They told me to give it away because it was difficult because I had to move all the time O_O (maybe it was just jealousy)
I'm so glad I got some of his art :)