Make-up kits

Munniko

So I decided I might start traveling more and more with my make-up to actually go and do others and just bring spare make-up when I go to performances in case anyone forgets to bring something. Does anyone have any experience with the really big make up kits? Or have an easy way of traveling with all the bits and pieces?

Daimona

You will probably end up with some favorite parts of the kit, and unless the bits and pieces that are emptied are easily replaceable I wouldn't buy the kit.

Daimona

Ah, you need a sturdy travel case. I thought you were going to buy a large make-up kit in a case. :lol:

If I need to expand my current solution (a big bag with some some pockets and a box containing all the small things) I'd buy a generic tool case where I could alter the interior to suit my needs which in general would be a) getting an overview quickly b) no lifting of things to get to whatever is under it and c) no possibilities to make a mess out of it.

Last edited:

Amulya

I never travelled with big kits, just put the make-up on at home and brought touch-up things in the costume bag. I don't see why I should bring all my make-up to a gig. But some dancers put the make-up on at the location. Still if I'd bring it all, it isn't that much. Only my glitter stack is big, but could leave the colours I don't use at home.

Farasha Hanem

If you're thinking of bringing just your own makeup in case anyone else needs/forgets something bear in mind that your makeup won't work on everyone. Different people need different formulations, and some people are allergic to certain ingredients. Plus, people have different complexions, so that foundation or blush that looks lovely on you might make someone else look too pale/too orange/too whatever.

Also, borrowing makeup can spread germs. No matter how clean you and your troupe mates are, there's always the chance of picking up an infection. :confused:

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, Munniko, I simply want to help you avoid potential trouble. It may not seem like a big deal, but better safe than sorry. It kind of sounds like to me that you might have the beginnings of a desire to be a makeup artist. If that's true, that's wonderful! If your interests are pointing in that direction, make sure to find a good cosmetology school that offers classes so you can at least get a basic license to practice. You'll learn a lot, not only about makeup application and colors, but also about the business side of things, and laws that are applicable to your state. You'll need to get several makeup tools and keep them sanitized (never use used or dirty tools on a client). Your professional beauty supply store can sell you these tax-free if you're a professional.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best! :D

Munniko

Oh I totally understand what you mean Farasha, there are certain things I wont share like eyeliner, mascara, or even my make-up brushes. The things I bring to share are like blush, which is far enough away from the eyes that you wont get an infection there, or face powder that I don't use anymore because my skin has changed it's nature.

I used to do make up instruction during college for interviews so I've accumulated a lot over the years, and it seems when in doubt it is what people get me for presents. I'd like a nice way to store it because I always change my mind based on the lighting in the area.

Amulya

I totally misunderstood the original post, didn't realise you meant to bring things to share, I just thought you wanted to bring lots of make-up and I wondered why so much haha. Makes sense now. I agree with Farasha, I never share any make-up every. Not even nail polish.

Ariadne

I've used a few different make-up cases over the years. My favorite one is my currant one. It has flaws but it has two things I like; it has a flat surface with elastic loops to hold all my brushes individually instead of being tossed into a drawer and it is made so that I can open up the entire case, every single drawer and door, at the same time. I have full access to everything at all times.

I don't like any case (including tackle boxes, crafts, or tool cases) if they have trays that have to be completely removed to access lower levels. I also don't like it when they don't have at least one good deep tray or drawer, varied heights are a must. In my experience cases made for makeup are more likely to have the variety needed but it all depends on your exact needs.

Amulya

I've got a really handy thing for my brushes: it came with the brushes, it's some sort of thing you put them in and roll up. It keeps them in order and neat and tidy. It can be put in a small make-up bag with my make-up without harming this brushes. If interested I can let you know where they come from (I was lucky to get them as birthday present from a friend :) )

Ariadne

Everyone I know that has one of those loves them and I can see how if you are using a make-up bag they would be awesome. My problem with them is the same as my problem with trays, you have to have a surface to lay it out on. It's totally personal I know. Personally I have a retractable blush brush for my small bag so it hasn't been an issue. When I say small though I mean small. It only holds enough for regular day make-up and wouldn't come close to holding enough for a gig. For everything larger I just take the case.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I have a medicum sized lockable makeup kit that I purchased at walmart. It folds in to be about the size of a lunch box. I usually get ready at home but I will take that with me to away performances or big performances I might have to do some touch ups while i am there. I do not share makeup with anyone for sanitary issues. I know of people who got lice from sharing brushes and skin/eye infections from sharing eyesshadow, maskara, lipstick, and eye liner.

LadyLoba

That's cool of you to want to share things with other dancers. I would suggest collecting a variety of free samples, and (if you have the spare cash) one and two dollar items, and just allowing the person who tries the item to keep whatever is left in the container. That way you can share makeup without actually sharing makeup and potentially germs. Another option would be to go ahead and buy some products you plan to keep to share, but stock up on disposable brushes or applicators, as they do at department store counters. That way only fresh, new applicators will touch the product.

As for storage, I've found that items that weren't meant for makeup often serve as great makeup kits. I like small food storage containers, kids' plastic pencil boxes, and small baggies for organization, tossed into a larger plastic storage container for easy carrying. They tend to be a little cheaper than makeup cases as well if budget is an issue.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I have a medicum sized lockable makeup kit that I purchased at walmart. It folds in to be about the size of a lunch box. I usually get ready at home but I will take that with me to away performances or big performances I might have to do some touch ups while i am there.
This.

My wife and I both got one of the WM cases - they work well for us. Usually get ready at home, but for those occasions where I do not, all I have to do is grab and go. My bug out makeup kit. I have a collapsible makeup mirror that fits inside too.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I have a medicum sized lockable makeup kit that I purchased at walmart. It folds in to be about the size of a lunch box. I usually get ready at home but I will take that with me to away performances or big performances I might have to do some touch ups while i am there.
This.

My wife and I both got one of the WM cases - they work well for us. Usually get ready at home, but for those occasions where I do not, all I have to do is grab and go. My bug out makeup kit. I have a collapsible makeup mirror that fits inside too.

khanjar

This.

Sorry Zorba, please forgive my mind and where it goes sometimes, but I had to laugh when I saw this as into my mind entered a combat orientated camouflaged make up kit and there I further wondered what a belly dance orientated make up kit camouflage would look like ? Silk sequins and coins and does it suffer the same problem as a vegetation coloured bag in that one really daren't put it down in the vegetation through fear of never finding it again when one needs to bug out fast?

Munniko

Another option would be to go ahead and buy some products you plan to keep to share, but stock up on disposable brushes or applicators, as they do at department store counters. That way only fresh, new applicators will touch the product.

Sorry I just had to comment on this bit because I think everyone has a right to know. Besides the mascara wands and lipgloss wands make-up counters don't usually use disposable items and if you are lucky they clean their brushes twice a shift. If you are super lucky they sanitize the product they are using on you if they can. I've worked at several major department stores that carry make-up and this is just what I've observed.

Other than that I do love your ideas, I currently carry little make-up brush sanitizing wipes with me if I HAVE to let someone use a brush (I have several duplicates of my brushes and only I get to use a certain colored handle brush) so that mishaps don't happen. As I said I've worked at a lot of department stores >_> when you get the discount and double discount days come around you acquire things and a lot of free samples.

It is horrible to hear so many people know someone who have gotten infections from just trying to be a nice person.

Amulya

Oh yuk! That sounds gross! I have only had makeup done twice and I really looked at the products they used to make sure the applicators were fresh and they were. I have a phobia for these kind of things. My mother's friend got an incurable eye infection from rubbing her eye after she held onto a bar in a tram (I never touch those things and if I must I disinfect my hands after) and my mother herself got cold sore virus from drinking from an infected glass. So yes be very very careful!

LadyLoba

I did not know that about the brushes. I thought they were ALL disposable! Yuk is right! I found a bunch of e.l.f. products I like, and I hate malls, so I manage to avoid the makeup counter "makeover" but I have done it before...for a boost, or because I was thinking about buying some products.