Post Thanks / Like

Default Video conference and voice chat

Kiadorin came up with a great idea, video conference ability for forum members. This is something that we can set up right away.

Members of our forum can easily make free video (or simply voice chat) calls to each other using "Skype". Skype is messenger software (maybe some of you already use Skype or Yahoo messenger or MSN messenger). You have to download and install Skype on your computer (it's free) Skype - internet calls - download Skype free now - free calls - official website.

Forum members who have installed Skype will have a Skype icon below their avatar. It is a circle with a check mark in it. Look below my avatar, right under my reputation status and you will see it. When members are on-line the circle is green and when they are off line the circle is grey.

When you are browsing the forum and see another member has installed Skype and she/he is on-line (remember circle is green when online) you can start voice chat or video confrence with this member. Also you can voice chat or video conference with several people at the same time!

We hope that alot of people are interested in doing this, and will install Skype and we can start having a new wave of communication in the Oriental dance community. No distance or borders between us anymore

Post Thanks / Like

Sad This sounds great,but

This sounds great,but we would all have to have a web cam and a mic either of which I have or at least I don't think I have a mic that would plug into my computer because the output is designed for a small mic. Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't have a webcam or a microphone

Post Thanks / Like

I use and love Skype... after all, the story of Skype goes back to Estonia (and I see their office from my office window every day) And it is absolutely great to have another mean of communication on orientaldancer.net I have worked a lot in intercultural context and I know how confusing and misinterpreted written communication between different people can get.

But then again, I love the written forum.. Because when I have been busy or away from the computer for a few days, I can always catch up the conversations by reading. It will be much more difficult to be around on the right moments of the real-time conversations

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prince ali baba View Post
    This sounds great,but we would all have to have a web cam and a mic
    Only if you want to. Those who want to be able to have voice chat with other forum members will need a headset. For video chat, a web-cam will be required also.

Quote Originally Posted by maariku View Post
    after all, the story of Skype goes back to Estonia
    I didn't know that Skype has Estonian roots. Congratulation! Another good thing with a tag "Made in Estonia".

But then again, I love the written forum.. Because when I have been busy or away from the computer for a few days, I can always catch up the conversations by reading. It will be much more difficult to be around on the right moments of the real-time conversations
    Maybe I didn't explain it correctly, sorry. The written forum will still be in place. Voice and video chat will be an added feature, not a replacement for written communications.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anatoliy View Post
    Maybe I didn't explain it correctly, sorry. The written forum will still be in place. Voice and video chat will be an added feature, not a replacement for written communications.
    Anatoliy, there was actually nothing wrong with your explanation - I do realise that the forum stays (even thinking of the possibility of it disappearing seems to be a sin )... It is just that the conferencing enables real-time conversations which you can't always be here in time for... Just my moment of panicing about missing out, nothing else