Debke instructional DVD

Marya

Hi there,

I am looking for an instructional DVD in Lebanese Debke. Dahlal had some but they are out of stock now. Any other sources that you know of?

Marya

Roshanna

Karim Nagi has a great folk DVD which includes instruction on dabke
Karim Nagi - Arab Folk Dance - Dabke, Khaliji, Saidi & Sufi - now on DVD - YouTube

I have this DVD and I like it a lot.
I'd be interested to know if there are any others out there though, as this one teaches lots of steps, but doesn't go into any detail about how those steps would be used in social dancing, or how you would change between steps when dancing with a group outside of a staged performance. So I kind of know lots of dabke steps, but am still not that confident to actually get up and join in a dabke line...

Yame

Wow, what kind of crazy wild dabke lines are UK Arabs getting themselves into?

Over here usually we just do the same basic step over and over again, with sometimes the person leading the line (or even more rarely, a couple of people in the line) getting fancy and showing off with crazy kicks and jumps and level changes, but you always have the option of sticking with the basics.

The basics will change depending on where the person leading the line or the people in general are from, so you have to watch what they are doing in the beginning to follow along.

It's one thing not being confident enough in your dabke skills to perform dabke, but to join a line in a social situation? Anybody can do that. If you can walk, you can dabke. Just watch what everyone is doing and follow along. You don't need a DVD for that ;)

Marya

Thanks for the input, I am actually hoping to expand the basic Debke knowledge I have and to choreograph a not too complicated performance piece.

Marya