MizzNaaa - are you OK?

AndreaSTL

Whether you joined the protest or stayed in your flat I'd love to hear from you. I hope you're OK!!

Egypt and it's people have been on my mind a lot in the last few days. I'm both worried and cautiously optimistic about the whole situation. I just hope Morsi's pride doesn't get in the way of doing what's best for the country. Whether that means stepping down or actually forming a government that benefits the people over himself I can't say. At this point with so many votes of no confidence I don't see how he can stay. All countries have problems so I don't expect Egypt to be any different, but basic human rights should not be negotiable.

Politics aside, I hope that you are safe!

Farasha Hanem

I've thought about you all day ever since I read about the 48 hour deadline. We all love you and Egypt very much, and keep you in our hearts. Stay safe, please. <3

MizzNaaa

Thank you guys. I do participate in the demonstrations, but I'm careful. So far there is a lot of uncertainty going on, we definitely don't want SCAF back in power, but at the same time Muslim Brotherhood needs to haul ass and leave because they literally will be the downfall of whatever's left of our country at this point.

I'll try to keep you updated, you're all in my thoughts<3

Yame

I'm hoping for the best for Egypt! Whatever the outcome, it looks like things are going to be messy for a while. I hope you guys can have a decent leader soon, neither autocrat nor theocrat but who rules with the interest of the people in mind. Stay safe!

AndreaSTL

Thank you so much for popping in to say you are fine!! Big hugs to you and everyone who is putting their lives on the line for what they believe in. You have my respect as well as my concern.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Glad to know you are safe! I just was about to pop on your page when I read the news and then I saw this thread. I hope that eventually you all will be able to find a good and stable goverment that meets the needs of your people. I just hope that it does not turn into a civil war of sorts before this happens. THe news I get here it sounds like the current goverment is going to fight tooth and nail to stay.

MizzNaaa

Just a quick update:

- Western media is trying to represent army's involvement as a military coup. It is not, I repeat, it is not a coup. This is trying to put pressure on the army to step back, for many political reasons I won't get into in fear of offending anyone (and because I honestly won't be here long enough to make my point clear) The point is, our Army is NOT trying to pull a coup on the president, they are merely trying to get Egypt to a more stable situation because they have very legit fears over our national security due to Muslim Brotherhood.

Here's a message I pulled out of Facebook that we've been trying to get to circulate in hopes it'd reach the people outside of Egypt:

To all my foreign friends! Apparently western media is misleading, showing that Egyptians are revolting against a legitimate and elected president... well compared to western countries, I can see why they don't get what the hell we're doing.. so please read the following:
1. You did not have a president who is accused of spying for another country, and actually escaped from prison with the help of foreign militias.
2. Your president is not backed up by armed militias who threaten to burn your country down whenever there is opposition.
3. Your president did not cause your economy to sink in less than a year and your everyday needs' cost tripled during the same period.
4. Your president is not a disgrace to your religion and defames it just to serve his own purposes, him and his terrorist group. They use religion to charade all their disgraceful acts, and they are far from Islam.
5. Your presidents work for the benefit of your countries as a whole, even for those who disagree with their policies, they don't push your countries to the edge of a civil war.
6. Your presidents don't make minorities feel threatened in their own country. Christians are not guests in Egypt!!! and he treated them as unwanted guests!
We are not revolting against legitimacy.. we are revolting against terrorism. EGYPT AND EGYPTIANS DO NOT SUPPORT TERRORISM! Do not let your media mislead you, we're doing it because we want a civilized life in a civilized country. SUPPORT EGYPT!!!

- The president's speech is basically a masked "Over my dead body, I am not leaving power, and if you don't back down there will be violence" it's very reminiscent of Mubarak's speech when he said it's either me or chaos. I think about 15 minutes before the president made his speech, shootouts already started in three different parts of Cairo/Giza (where I live) closest of which is about 10 minutes on foot away from my house at the Cairo University Camput. Last confirmed number was 3 dead and 90 injured. Considering shootings went on from midnight till 5 am, the number is probably higher but currently I have no confirmation.

- Right now, we're waiting on the Army's statements but it looks like this isn't gonna be over soon. If anything else pops up I'll try and hop on here to let you guys know.

khanjar

I rather hope foreign nations keep out of this as the Egyptian people have the right to self determination, but they won't so it is for the Egyptian people to ignore foreign influence if they are to self determine.

My thoughts also for the Egyptian people.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Well, our president is pretty bad - and he's even well along the road on a couple of your items; but with that said, he's a SAINT compared to your list. I wonder what he'd say about Pagans!

khanjar

I do wonder a lot of times given the world is so lead astray by it, where this world would be if we did not have religion for all religion if it is to be kept pure and ideal is oppressive and where there is oppression, there is control for oppression is control.

Pagan myself but not religious, it can't be, there is no religion and glad of that I am for I am free to self determine and so what I believe is a personal spirituality nothing else where what I do when I do I do completely in private so I may offend no one.

But the rebel is in my blood for I will not be told and I don't fit in anyway, where I understand not fitting in as free to be oneself.

But MizzNaaa, you like my comment regards foreign nations keeping out therefore I understand you understand foreign intervention is part of the problem and I know it is as I know the government of my country supported Morsi, where if I had any influence I would tell my lot to keep their noses out of other countries because in what they do to suit their own ends they call national interest, they do to suit powerful others which are not us, but we always reap the negativity that our leaders create, but my guess is as long as it is us and not them, they won't change.

As to news, I don't get my news from my country because I know it is not the complete picture where I will go to foreign news agencies to get a more complete version which further emphasises how much we are treated like mushrooms.

I saw it tonight on the pub TV, go Egypt in your peaceful demonstrations for the world is not just watching, but the world is admiring despite what the reporter is trying to say as a picture is worth a thousand words.

But beware the media, they are not without agenda, so take to the internet to tell the truth.

AndreaSTL

First, let me say how happy I am for Egypt and her people. I hope that this is the beginning of the country's restoration, both spiritually and economically. Can you post the link to the Facebook page so I can share it?

At government and national media levels so much of what is said and done is bullsh!t posturing. They are so afraid of appearing weak or reversing their position that they often take no stand at all. In turn this makes them appear weak in my eyes. Either stand for something or don't. I feel like this is where Obama is right now. He supported the revolution against Mubarek, and whatever he felt on a personal level about Morsi he didn't say publicly because Morsi was elected by the people. To say anything negative could be perceived as not supporting Egyptians. The U.S. continued aid to Egypt because it was a fledgling democracy and there was a lot to be worked out before she could stand on her own. The problem is: how much influence do/should foreign supporters have in the government?

Egypt needs help while the country gets going. OK. There are some hiccups but governments, like individuals, have to learn some things for themselves. You need to let them make the mistakes even if you hate doing it. Still OK. Things start to get messed up, and now the foreigners are in a dilemma. If you pull all aid because you don't like the government the people are the ones who suffer. If you still give aid but say that it's conditional on the government doing what you (the foreigner) want then it seems like the foreign country is trying to run Egypt. If you still give aid but say nothing it seems like you fully support the government. What is the best option? They all have positives and negatives.

Gone are the days when countries stand completely alone. We all depend on someone else for economic aid or trading goods. We have to get along, but to what degree? At some point you have to put politics aside and stand up for basic human rights. How bad does it have to get before another country steps in? No matter what the government wants some people will love them for it and some will despise them. Who is right? It's all such a giant mess. This is why I don't discuss politics! People are passionate about their beliefs and you can't definitively say only one is correct.

I was a bit surprised that Morsi was elected given his past, but I think Shafik was tainted because he was already associated with government and the military. I hope that Egypt establishes a true democracy, and that individuals are free to express their opinions and understand that people with different ideals aren't inherently bad. The United States is far from perfect, but I can rest at night secure in the knowledge that I won't be arrested simply for disagreeing with my government. I cannot be detained and tortured for months on end without charges being filed. All differences aside I think every person should have that security.

I am once again optimistic for Egypt's future. I hope that the people realize that not all Americans have the same point of view as Obama any more than all Egyptians think like Morsi. Our leaders may have been democratically elected but don't necessarily reflect every citizen's point of view on every issue. I am sorry for the loss of life so far, but I respect that those individuals felt so strongly that they were willing to pay the ultimate price for their beliefs. I hope their courage and sacrifice are not in vain. When you wrote that you wouldn't be here long enough to clarify your point I hope that you meant just for that post. You're not leaving for good, are you?