Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    best instruction that I have received has required little sweating at all. I am talking about teachers like Shareen El Safy, Kay Artle, Aziz, Mouna Said, Nadia Hamdi.

See, that's funny because Shareen el Safy was the first teacher to really make me sweat in a workshop! BUT, I think it was because that was really my first introduction to Egyptian dance and I wasn't used to her posture, how she teaches you to use the low abs, etc. and just standing in that posture required extra effort, which lead to extra heat which led to ... sweat.

Dahlena kept the class dripping once -- I'm not sure why, but I remember definately feeling that I'd worked the next day. But I think that room was extra warm, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classes

Dear Aziyade,
    When I have studied with Shareen, I do not recall any of her movements or phrases to be so energetic for me that I have sweated. This could be because I studied Egyptian dance for many years before I took any classes with her, and wqhile I see her posture as exaggerated, I use a less intense version of the same posture. ( In fact, Shareen and I once had a huge argument about it!! In spite of this, she is still the best instructor I have ever studied with and I will continue to take classes with her whenever the chance arises.) My last class with Shareen was about a year and a half ago and what I remember of it was that, once again, I learned about the meat and integrity of the dance as opposed to learning how to do movements that were overly strenuous enough to cause me to sweat.
    I can see how someone might sweat when studying with Dahlena. I have taken a few classes with her. I have seen her hit people.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Last edited by Aisha Azar; 02-12-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

She hits people. How professional.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi A'isha -
    I meant Dahlena from -- well, I thought Chicago, but maybe not. She gives workshops in Chicago every summer, so I just assumed she was from there.

I have had class with Delilah once and enjoyed it. Hers is a much more interpretive dance than I usually do now, but it was a great break, and I just adore her instructional videos.

Shareen's class wasn't, like "aerobic" but I definately felt a lot of muscle usage. 'Course I might just be a real puss when it comes to long workshops, too. LOL

but who hits people? Shareen?? I feel cheated, having never been hit. She doesn't like me

Post Thanks / Like

I feel cheated, having never been hit. She doesn't like me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classes

Dear Aziyade and Shanazel,
    Aziyade, I accidently read your message the first time as "Delilah", and then realized it was Dahlena, so I edited my message so that it would at least correlate to your response!!
    Shanazel, funny, Dahlena has been known to tell people that I don't like HER!! Actually I think she is a really good dancer... teaching wise not so much. I don't like teachers who abuse people either physically or psychologically and I have seen her do both.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't anyone ever whispered the words "assault and battery" to her? In Wyoming, those are pretty serious charges, but maybe in more enlightened parts of the country, folks just take physical abuse in stride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classes

Dear Shanazel,
    I think people are so taken aback that they don't know what to do. I saw her hit several people in class years ago and when she went to hit me, I jst made myself tall and sort of leaned slightly over her and made my eyes big. She changed her mind. Over the years I took several classes with her when I was young and stupider than I am now. My last class with her was 12 years ago. She shook my arm over some disagreement about Mouna's shimmies. That was it for me.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. Wonder if she can say, "anger management classes."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12