Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I am often described as quite a sensual dancer. To me, what makes you that way is a) strong flexible core and b) following through and finishing movements. It's about feeling WITH the body. Being aware of your body, your feet, your hands, the lot, and enjoying it. Always flowing; not stopping hard, then continuing a movement. Moving the movement around inside your body, extending it, bringing it back.

I don't teach it. If I am ever in a position of coaching someone to make their performance better, that tends to be the sort of thing I focus on. But I'm not about telling people "how" to be "sensual". Everyone has their own kind of sensuality, and I would rather make it simply about them enjoying THEIR bodies in a way that is good for them, rather than the way I do.

Really it's about enjoying your body and being in it. It's that simple. And that hard.

Post Thanks / Like

For me the dance is not a sensual thing but a soulful thing. It reflects who you are and how you feel. It can show happiness, sadness, aggression, timidity, playfulness, and seriousness. How does that particular music move you? How do you feel it?

One of the things I most love about this dance is how differently everyone interprets the same music. Even the same dancer will not approach a piece of music the same way they would have ten years ago. Life has happened, and chances are they are a different person now. If you are not a sensual person or not comfortable exposing your sensuality to an audience of strangers it's not likely to come out in a performance. It doesn't make you a bad dancer at all. If you want sensuousness as a feeling to come out in your dance then you have to change yourself to feel OK with doing that. You can do the movements over and over, but without the spirit it's just physical movement that may or may not be interpreted as sensual depending on the audience member's point of view.

Post Thanks / Like

Class is different from home, as said at home I can fluidly move and the technique is begging to be used and mostly when I dance at home it is eyes closed where one is moving within the music what I liken to moving meditation as it is that blissful. But in class so many things come to haunt, number one that dancing for others where my experience is technique is forgotten and it feels as if the music is moving faster than I am capable of moving.

Another said to me try forgetting where you are and think of home when you dance and see if that improves anything any, I shall have to try.

But sensual is it soulful, I believe it is as sensual in my understanding is a culmination of what the senses cause the self to perceive where it could even be mixed with other stuff within us for the dance to be even spiritual.

My issue I think is a lack of self confidence for it is true I am not that comfortable in my own skin and so I understand where I am not confident murphy's law come out to play, what can go wrong will.

Post Thanks / Like

It may help to take gendered issues out of your body as much as you possibly can. Sensual is not about genitalia. Though of course genitals are part of our bodies. Think about things that are pleasurable that happen with the body that aren't sex: the taste of your favourite fruit, the feeling of warm water on your body, the sensation of your feet rolling as they step across the floor, the way your breath tastes... all and any physical sensation you like. Get to like how your body feels. To hell with what it looks like. This is the key.

Post Thanks / Like

Sensuality is in the eye of the beholder. If you are confident with yourself while dancing, if you can dance well, if you are one with the music, if you are expressive... someone is bound to think your dance is sensual. But I wouldn't actively aim for sensuality, specifically.

Post Thanks / Like

Zuma banged it square on the head with her last post. I'll just say, yeah, what she said.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like to work with DVDs, you might like Alimah's "Meaning in Movement." It's not about sensuality in dance, but about ways to give your movements that extra depth that comes from giving them meaning. The DVD is available on Amazon or from Cheeky Girls.

Meaning in Movement - DVD Trailer with Alimah - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

I have that dvd and I've still yet to explore it. Now I need to pull it out & give it a go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12