Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default breast shimmies so taboo

I am curious as to why breast shimmies are so taboo?

I tend to do them more in CERTAIN shaabi dances, but am curious why they are sooo taboo?

Post Thanks / Like

You answered your own question in your "asexual dancing" thread!

Post Thanks / Like

oh hehe, thanx.

Post Thanks / Like

Chest shimmies are taboo?

Post Thanks / Like

Are they taboo? News to me. Personally I think it depends entirely on the music - which in turn drives the dance style. If I'm doing folk or Fifi styled beledi they are in. If I'm doing a refined Orientale I'll use a shoulder shimmy instead.

However, as a DD I have to be careful when doing a breast shimmy I don't injure myself or appear foolish. In fact, when I have done comedy belly dance a breast shimmy was a must.

Post Thanks / Like

Breast shimmies???? Not sure exactly what you are talking about here. I know when I do shoulder shimmies, since my breast are larger, they tend to take on their own momentum after a sec or two. However that is nothing I can control unless I cut them off or down to a smaller size. Can someone explain to me what a breast shimmy is?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ~Diana~ View Post
    Breast shimmies???? Not sure exactly what you are talking about here. I know when I do shoulder shimmies, since my breast are larger, they tend to take on their own momentum after a sec or two. However that is nothing I can control unless I cut them off or down to a smaller size. Can someone explain to me what a breast shimmy is?
    In American Cabaret style, the shoulder shimmy is preferred. In Egyptian style the shimmy moves a bit lower and includes the chest area. I've seen clips of Nagua Fouad and Fifi Abdo doing the breast shimmy, but don't have the links at my finger tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dunyah View Post
    In American Cabaret style, the shoulder shimmy is preferred. In Egyptian style the shimmy moves a bit lower and includes the chest area. I've seen clips of Nagua Fouad and Fifi Abdo doing the breast shimmy, but don't have the links at my finger tips.
    The way people keep differing "shoulder shimmy" vs. "chest shimmy" is kind of funny to me. They are both one and the same... if you move your shoulders, your chest is going to move. Unless you are doing some crazy isolation with your shoulders where just your shoulders are moving, but I have literally NEVER seen that before.

Sure, you can emphasize the chest more, or de-emphasize it, by changing your posture, changing speed, strength, emphasis, etc... but at its core, the movement is still the same, generated the same way.

But I keep seeing people claiming that there is a chest/breast shimmy, and a shoulder shimmy that is somehow completely different. But I've yet to see someone demonstrate the difference to me, or point me to a specific video where a dancer is doing one, and then another video where a dancer is doing the other.

Can someone please refer me to a video that features this mythical breastless shoulder shimmy? (No male dancers please, that would be cheating!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ~Diana~ View Post
    I began with two teachers: one who preferred Egyptian style and the other American Cabaret. The Egyptian-styled teacher taught us what she called a "chest shimmy," which was basically powered by your upper abs and biceps, isolating the top part of your body in a twist. The Am. Cab. teacher taught us a "shoulder shimmy," which was powered by our shoulders and pectoral muscles.

I'm not a teacher so I probably explained that horribly =/ But I know when I do either shimmy, my chest jiggles a bit and I'm not that large.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    The way people keep differing "shoulder shimmy" vs. "chest shimmy" is kind of funny to me. They are both one and the same... if you move your shoulders, your chest is going to move. Unless you are doing some crazy isolation with your shoulders where just your shoulders are moving, but I have literally NEVER seen that before.

Sure, you can emphasize the chest more, or de-emphasize it, by changing your posture, changing speed, strength, emphasis, etc... but at its core, the movement is still the same, generated the same way.

But I keep seeing people claiming that there is a chest/breast shimmy, and a shoulder shimmy that is somehow completely different. But I've yet to see someone demonstrate the difference to me, or point me to a specific video where a dancer is doing one, and then another video where a dancer is doing the other.

Can someone please refer me to a video that features this mythical breastless shoulder shimmy? (No male dancers please, that would be cheating!)
    I googled chest shimmy vs shoulder shimmy and this is what came up...not sure how accurate she is...

Chest and shoulder shimmies: the difference - YouTube

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast