breast shimmies so taboo

Amulya

Maybe already mentioned in this thread but some people might mean a shimmy that's created by the upper chest and not shoulders? But I would call that a chest shimmy not a breast shimmy because men can do them too. The breasts would move of course, can't be helped.

ETA: that video posted where a dancer explains the difference, what she calls a chest shimmy isn't the chest shimmy I'm talking about. The one I mean is an up and down movement not a twist. Like lifting the upper chest and dropping it, it's often used as little accent but just as one single movement (a drop or pop upwards), if it's multiple and fast it becomes a chest shimmy.

Last edited:

Yame

ETA: that video posted where a dancer explains the difference, what she calls a chest shimmy isn't the chest shimmy I'm talking about. The one I mean is an up and down movement not a twist. Like lifting the upper chest and dropping it, it's often used as little accent but just as one single movement (a drop or pop upwards), if it's multiple and fast it becomes a chest shimmy.

Now *that* is a completely different, separate movement. It's kind of the like the chest's equivalent of a pelvic shimmy.
Sometimes when people kept talking about the difference between a chest shimmy vs. a shoulder shimmy, I started to wonder if that's what they meant when they talked about a chest shimmy, but upon further inquiry I realized that it wasn't.
I think that a good term for it is "chest pulse," "chest vibration," or "pulsating chest shimmy" or something like that.

Greek Bonfire

I've seen Ansuya do breast shimmies, and they work for very short intervals or they just look ridiculous. Not to mention, if I did that a lot, i would most likely do a lot to advance the girls into falling faster than before their time, and I'm not in a particular hurry to do that!

Amulya

Darshiva, it's a very subtitle movement so it can be used in dance in combination with something else and it can look good. My Egyptian style teachers used to use it, for example in a slower movement with a chest circle, I used to use it with snake arms. But it has to stay a tiny movement, it's easy to make it look weird haha. And it might also depend on the chest size of the dancer, the movement easily looks bigger with a bigger chest and maybe less nice. Maybe this movement isn't popular in Australia but it was in Europe.

Ahava_Melantha

I love THAT shimmy. Seen Fifi Abdo do it a lot. a shoulder shimmy while lifting the chest up and down. I do it a bit, but mostly to shaabi/baladi music

Dunyah

I stumbled across the great video of Nagua Fouad and noticed the chest shimmy at about 2:05. I really don't see the shoulders driving this movement. What do you see?

[video=youtube_share;-SqncM88RuA]http://youtu.be/-SqncM88RuA[/video]

Tarik Sultan

What Amulya said. The muscles of the upper back, but those are the muscles that drive the shoulder shimmies in the first place. As I said before, they are both the same movement. Basically you're using the muscles that control the ability to twist the upper torso. How much movement you get in the breasts depends on the intensity of the of the movement, (range of motion) and the build of the individuals body. Big range of motion, will show up differently than if you keep it small and compact.