Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, ladies, I was just wondering. I don't have anything against designer costumes at all, I was just a bit worried, but as Shan said, some people are going to be judgmental.

Post Thanks / Like

I never have come across someone being judgemental about what costumes I wear. Maybe it's a new thing amongst dancers?

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose dancers might be judgemental if your costume is particularly unfashionable (fringed epaulettes, anyone?) and not gorgeous enough on you to make up for it, or obviously cheap & tacky. But actual clients seem totally indifferent most of the time. Most dancers in the UK wear modern Egyptian-style costuming, but one of my friends has a much more vintage/american look (floofy chiffon skirts or harem pants with bedleh, or more classic style 2-pieces, but no dina-bras or minimalist modern designs) and it doesn't seem to hurt her professionally at all.

I do mostly wear designer stuff, but that's because a) I can't sew well, and have no free time, and b) if I *must* have a full time day job, I can at least spend the surplus money on something good!

Post Thanks / Like

No, general audience can't see the difference, they seem to like everything, even some very questionable costumes sometimes. I have heard people give compliments on tourist costumes. Only Arabic and Turkish audience would know better, but they wouldn't care if it's designer as long as it's beautiful. I have never heard of a dancer being requested to wear a certain brand by Arab or Turkish customers.

Hahaha, I'm picturing costumes with epaulettes! So 90's! There were some hideous things out there back then!

Btw Turkish costumes seem not to be much in use here either, it's all the Egyptian bra/skirt sets here. I'm glad mine are different. I don't like to be the same as everybody else.

Post Thanks / Like

Farasha, I wouldn't worry about the costume/restaurant owner issue. Occasionally there will be an Arab owner who will know the costume trends and will want you to wear only the latest, but I think these are relatively rare. Most instead will want to make sure the costume fits and looks nice. They do want you coming out in more than a street bra and a coin belt, though. A lot of dancers don't want to wear designer duds in restaurants anyway because they can get stained or absorb odors. Instead they save them for parties and weddings.

If you have the money and inclination to buy from a high-end designer then go for it, but don't feel bad if you can't. It's the same as civilian street wear. It's great if you can afford Chanel, but you don't have to be embarrassed if you're wearing a department store label. I would rather see a great dancer in an older costume (gotta say I love the retro epaulets even though I'm in the minority here) than a bad dancer in designer wear.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. Pretty much what everyone else has been saying. Unless you have a Middle Eastern or audience of your peers, they won't know if you aren't wearing the latest style or not. I have owned very few big name costumes because they aren't good for day to day work with the general public. Big name super expensive costumes are great for special venues in a controlled environment where the audience will know what they are looking at. Let the costume fit the job you want it to do. I've never owned a Bella and no one has kicked me off a stage yet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12