How to select cane/asaya length ?

khanjar

Is there a guide to selecting the length of canes for raks al assaya ?

Should a cane '' fit '' a dancer ?

Darshiva

If it feels comfortable, use it.

I've found that I can give pretty much anything a crack. I've got this one that's about mid-chest height and quite thick and heavy that I can weild no problems (aside from the fact I think it's ugly!)

The real key is to find the stick that feels comfy in your hand and learn to trust it.

Yame

I think the recommended length is from the floor to your belly button. So it will depend on the person's height.

However in practice, some people may prefer theirs shorter or longer than this length. It depends on a lot of things, like the weight and shape of the sticks (and your strength and skill with them), the length of your arms, the height of your ceiling, your assaya style and what exactly you intend on doing with it.

You may have to play around and buy different ones before you find out what works for you. Plus it's always good to have different ones for different circumstances and ceiling heights.

I have found that I can't stand it when my canes/sticks are shorter than belly button height. And usually, I prefer them even longer than that. My favorite pair goes up to my mid-torso, and it's thick and fairly heavy (for my arms at least). However I can't use this pair if the ceilings aren't very high, and I can't ever spin the sticks with my hand above chest height (which I find more aesthetically pleasing than spinning with the hand mid-torso height).

So I have to constantly balance it out and ask myself... would I rather use the sticks I like best, or dance the way I like best? I wish I had higher ceilings!

Last edited:

Safran

I have never thought of the length of the cane... my tahtib canes come up to my chest, and the canes we use here in Egypt are slightly above my hip. Basically, I can dance with whatever cane, but I do have preferences when it comes to some other characteristics- for solo work I like canes that don't have sequins (that means I don't have to worry about it getting stuck to the costume or my hair) and that are heavy and strong (that means that they are more controllable and I don't have to worry about breaking them when I get carried away :cool:)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I think the recommended length is from the floor to your belly button. So it will depend on the person's height.
This.

And with that said, it's all in what you're used to and like. I have a pair of canes that I dance with regularly that are far shorter, they don't even quite reach the bottom of my crotch! But they are wonderful, and irreplaceable at ANY price - so I work around the "too short" length.

Aniseteph

You can always experiment with a couple of lengths of garden cane and a hacksaw. It doesn't help for weighty sticks, but for the lighter style it gives you an idea what to look for when you go shopping.

Afrit

Also consider if you are going to do things like the Ghawazee cane between two dancers you will need a cane EXACTLY the same length as your partner's!

Farasha Hanem

I have two canes---one I bought from a sister dancer because my teacher said the cane I had was too heavy, and a lovely hand-crafted, knobby, heavy walking cane I bought at the Ren Faire when a I was a newborn baby dancer. My Ren Faire cane comes up to my belly button, while my thinner, lighter cane is a bit longer; in fact, it's a bit too long for my liking. I love my Ren Faire cane so much more.

khanjar

Excellent, thanks to all, I have an idea now and the came I already have, one I was given by my sister who doesn't belly dance anymore is too short for me, it felt too short and now I know it is, it being a good four inches below male hip height, but it felt right at the time as a walking stick because my wingspan is four inches longer than my height, I have long arms.

But cash being tight, it is tight but I have found a cheap supplier- charity shops where currently in mine there are a bucket full of canes of various lengths selling for about a fiver apiece, and so many because people don't use them anymore, it is an OAP tool.

But we are doing a rather enjoyable saiidi piece at the moment and to keep my arms in the right places I am finding practising with a cane in private improves my class performance where I am guessing canes are the next addition to what we are learning.

Pirika Repun

Personally, I love straight assa/ cane then with hook., because more option to manipulate canes. I have three straight canes and one hooked cane. Two of them are made by bamboo, and got $10 each (not bad at all). Another one is bought from DIY store such as Home Depot/ Lows for just round stick. This is for group number and too light for me, but other girls needed light cane. So, even though I feel too light, I use this when I do group number.

I taped my cane with taping tape, so these tapes make cane little heavier, and also not slippery. When doing double cane tape become very handy. I don’t like sequenced cane, so I decorate cane with taping tape. ;)

If you are looking for affordable straight cane, go to DIY store to get wood stick which you like length and size. I’m sure it much cheaper than dancing cane.

BTW, I like my cane around my hip bone length, and heavy.

AndreaSTL

The right size cane is whatever works for you. I prefer mine to be at hip height, and I like a wooden cane that gives a satisfying "thwack" when I hit the ground with it. If the cane is too long I have to hold it further up, and the part sticking out the bottom scrapes my arm. Some dancers prefer a lighter cane or one with sequins, so unless your group wants everyone to be the same use what you like. If you have the space, give them a test twirl in the store before you buy one.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I like my cane to be as light as possible - and fairly small diameter. Which matches my two canes. If I had my druthers, they'd be belly button length; but they're not, so I make do.