Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Repeating a class

I hope you don't mind me asking another question of the teachers here, but for those of you who do teach, how do you feel about a student who had been with you for some months re-taking the beginner's session once more?

I ask this because I've been studying with my teacher for about 9 months or so, and have decided to go back to the basics to work on my technique, and joining the intermediate class afterwards for choreo and props. (I'm also taking the basics once more because I talked a friend into coming with me, and it would be wrong to abandon her/make her suffer in the intermediate class) My teacher has me down on her intemediate class list.

So. Am I committing a major BD faux-pas by taking both classes, or is it perfectly acceptible to do so? Do you encourage your students to re-take a class? Do you segregate your classes so that the newbies aren't intimidated, or add extra steps for those repeating?

So many questions......

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there home girl !!! (i was born at Melbourne)

Well I just wish some of my students do what you are doing.
    I think its great and you can only benefit from it !!!

Even when needed i feel wierd telling them to take again the first level.
    This because you never know what students will think and some believe they are great when they are not. So when you tell them to go back for a re-do, they think you say this for the money etc.

Good for you for doing this, for your friend, but also with re-doing the first teqnicks you will feel more confortable and this time understanding better whats going under the teqnics.

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a teacher, but I have repeated classes a few times when working on something or trying to learn something in particular and my teacher has always been very encouraging and positive. My teacher usually adds an extra layer or accent move etc for those that are repeating if you feel you need the challenge. Good luck with your classes!

Post Thanks / Like

I have terrific respect for any student who 're-takes' a beginning level class! It shows that the student has the desire to really perfect these core movements and is dedicated to getting it right!!
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classes

Dear Gwinity,
    I believe that the basics are the heart and soul of the dance and we can never learn them well enough. Every time I teach a class, we go over some kind of basic movement. I have heard that those studying ballet go through their basics every class as warm-up. I do not know if this is true, or just true of some ballerinas I have costumed.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gwinity,

I'm not a teacher either but from my point of view, I think it's good to retake beginners lessons. I'm doing exactly this myself. While my regular classes are in advanced level/continuing level (learning to deal with props, exploring music more in depth etc.), I'm retaking absolute beginners once or twice a week for working on basic moves (and assisting the teacher where needed while I'm there), and retaking intermediate classes twice a week for drills and technique.

I feel it gives me much stronger foundation in movement, it gives me a chance to work on technique and strengthen my weak points in dance, plus the muscles in my belly are showing already. Also, when repeating classes you'll find out things you didn't see or know the first time you took the class, and you get the possibility to really explore what you already know more deeply.

If you get the chance to retake classes, I say go for it. You can never learn too much
    Last edited by Yshka; 02-13-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    Also, when repeating classes you'll find out things you didn't see or know the first time you took the class, and you get the possibility to really explore what you already know more deeply.

If you get the chance to retake classes, I say go for it. You can never learn too much
    I couldn't agree more! I found this is true with many other things as well! It is quite amazing the things you pick up the second time around.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a teacher, but here it is quite usual for both occasional and "hard-core" students to take a class which is lower than their "challenge" level. This can be for scheduling or review reasons. It's not a faux-pas at all, and I'm sure that your teacher appreciates the extra business!

Do keep in mind that your teacher may point you out to the other students, and talk about your advanced-study status. If that happens, she is just trying to keep the other students from being intimidated by your more polished moves (as well as pointing out how they too can reinforce their skills in the future).

Post Thanks / Like

Since I teach beginner classes I review all the basic moves every 12 weeks or so.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I will mirror the "that rocks!" kind of remarks. It shows great focus and commitment to your technique to do this.

Also, most of my students take two levels at once, continuing to take the previous level when they move up to the next. It's really valuable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast