Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't repeat beginners class, because I can't afford two courses at this moment And I really want to do the continueing course I'm doing now. I think it's really valuable to repeat a class, but I also want to learn more and I would feel kind of stuck if I would see the other students who did continue doing more challenging movements which I think I would be able to do too with some explanation and practice. I hope I'm making sense now. Besides that, my teacher told me last year she thought I was ready to continue, so that made me more confident to do so.
    There are other students who repeat a class, but usually because they don't feel confident yet to move on or because they missed a lot of classes the year before. I think I will repeat advanced course a few times when I'm ready for that, and if I'm able to afford two courses at the same time I could repeat beginners too.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there ,i have many students that repeating the beginners class even girls that are with me for more than 3 years just to refresh its a good idea Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

I went back twice , once with a friend starting and then later with my daughter. My teacher didn't mind and I learnt lots. In fact it was the best thing I could have done as my technique improved heaps.It amazed me how much I benefitted from doing this even though I had been dancing for several years!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish to goodness some of my students would repeat beginning classes. My dancers have the option of attending both beginning and continung classes if they like- the classes actually overlap for about 15 minutes. It wasn't my choice to do this, the rec center powers that be made the choice, but the situation has its merits. Beginners rarely stay for the continuing class more than a few minutes, but several continuing students regularly come in to practice with the beginners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I didn't repeat beginners class, because I can't afford two courses at this moment And I really want to do the continueing course I'm doing now. I think it's really valuable to repeat a class, but I also want to learn more and I would feel kind of stuck if I would see the other students who did continue doing more challenging movements which I think I would be able to do too with some explanation and practice. I hope I'm making sense now. Besides that, my teacher told me last year she thought I was ready to continue, so that made me more confident to do so.
    There are other students who repeat a class, but usually because they don't feel confident yet to move on or because they missed a lot of classes the year before. I think I will repeat advanced course a few times when I'm ready for that, and if I'm able to afford two courses at the same time I could repeat beginners too.
    Hi Moon,

I think that what you are doing is just fine. Remember, some people take a lot of classes because they are not so good at practicing at home. Others want to learn from every teacher in town. Why stay in the beginner class if you have most of the moves, and are ready to learn the advanced stuff? If you have to choose one class, it's good to challenge yourself. Especially since your class is a year long...it would be silly to hold yourself back for a whole year just out of perfectionism.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of your comments and support! *group hug* I'm glad it's not a huge no-no in the community!

One more thing that concerns me, though, is that my teacher has not charged me for doing both classes (I'm more than happy to pay the extra). Like Shanazel's, the course is run through the community centre, and the Intermediate overlaps the Beginners by uhalf an hour (or whenever they turn up) on the same night. Those other Intermediate dancers who turn up early also participate in the beginners drills, but I'm the only one there right from the start.

What is the etiquette for this? Shanazel (and everyone else, of course) what do you do? Do you charge the Intermediate dancers more for the longer lessons, or ...?

Post Thanks / Like

No, there is no extra charge, and in the long run I think it works out well financially for the rec center. My beginning classes are full with a waiting list; the continuing classes are a good healthy size, with enough room for the more ambitious beginners to come in and learn more difficult things. People love to feel they are getting a bargain- especially when they are- and it doesn't cost the rec center anything extra to overlap the classes and allow people to attend both. Now, if the classes were on different nights, the policy would probably be different.

If you are concerned about the payments issue at your studio, simply ask your teacher how she would like for you to deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I understand that if the classes were on different nights, this issue wouldn't even exist - I'm considering taking a third class with her on a different night, and have already put aside the money for it. Our classes are quite small at the moment, so there is plenty of room for extra bodies, whether they're drop-in, enrolling late or people like me.

I just don't want my teacher to be out of pocket or something because she has to teach an extra person. Thanks for your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome, and you are a nice person for being concerned about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. ~blushing~

I spoke to my teacher last night in the break between classes, and she told me not to be ridiculous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast