Repeating a class

gwinity

I hope you don't mind me asking another question of the teachers here, but for those of you who do teach, how do you feel about a student who had been with you for some months re-taking the beginner's session once more?

I ask this because I've been studying with my teacher for about 9 months or so, and have decided to go back to the basics to work on my technique, and joining the intermediate class afterwards for choreo and props. (I'm also taking the basics once more because I talked a friend into coming with me, and it would be wrong to abandon her/make her suffer in the intermediate class) My teacher has me down on her intemediate class list.

So. Am I committing a major BD faux-pas by taking both classes, or is it perfectly acceptible to do so? Do you encourage your students to re-take a class? Do you segregate your classes so that the newbies aren't intimidated, or add extra steps for those repeating?

So many questions...... :D

Maria_Aya

Hi there home girl !!! (i was born at Melbourne)

Well I just wish some of my students do what you are doing.
I think its great and you can only benefit from it !!!

Even when needed i feel wierd telling them to take again the first level.
This because you never know what students will think and some believe they are great when they are not. So when you tell them to go back for a re-do, they think you say this for the money etc.

Good for you for doing this, for your friend, but also with re-doing the first teqnicks you will feel more confortable and this time understanding better whats going under the teqnics.

Maria Aya:)

Mouse

I'm not a teacher, but I have repeated classes a few times when working on something or trying to learn something in particular and my teacher has always been very encouraging and positive. My teacher usually adds an extra layer or accent move etc for those that are repeating if you feel you need the challenge. Good luck with your classes!

Gia al Qamar

I have terrific respect for any student who 're-takes' a beginning level class! It shows that the student has the desire to really perfect these core movements and is dedicated to getting it right!!
Gia

Aisha Azar

Classes

Dear Gwinity,
I believe that the basics are the heart and soul of the dance and we can never learn them well enough. Every time I teach a class, we go over some kind of basic movement. I have heard that those studying ballet go through their basics every class as warm-up. I do not know if this is true, or just true of some ballerinas I have costumed.
Regards,
A'isha

Yshka

Hi Gwinity,

I'm not a teacher either but from my point of view, I think it's good to retake beginners lessons. I'm doing exactly this myself. While my regular classes are in advanced level/continuing level (learning to deal with props, exploring music more in depth etc.), I'm retaking absolute beginners once or twice a week for working on basic moves (and assisting the teacher where needed while I'm there), and retaking intermediate classes twice a week for drills and technique.

I feel it gives me much stronger foundation in movement, it gives me a chance to work on technique and strengthen my weak points in dance, plus the muscles in my belly are showing already:lol:. Also, when repeating classes you'll find out things you didn't see or know the first time you took the class, and you get the possibility to really explore what you already know more deeply.

If you get the chance to retake classes, I say go for it. You can never learn too much;)

Last edited:

sstacy123

Also, when repeating classes you'll find out things you didn't see or know the first time you took the class, and you get the possibility to really explore what you already know more deeply.

If you get the chance to retake classes, I say go for it. You can never learn too much;)

I couldn't agree more! I found this is true with many other things as well! It is quite amazing the things you pick up the second time around.

da Sage

I'm not a teacher, but here it is quite usual for both occasional and "hard-core" students to take a class which is lower than their "challenge" level. This can be for scheduling or review reasons. It's not a faux-pas at all, and I'm sure that your teacher appreciates the extra business!:)

Do keep in mind that your teacher may point you out to the other students, and talk about your advanced-study status. If that happens, she is just trying to keep the other students from being intimidated by your more polished moves (as well as pointing out how they too can reinforce their skills in the future).:dance:

TribalDancer

I will mirror the "that rocks!" kind of remarks. It shows great focus and commitment to your technique to do this.

Also, most of my students take two levels at once, continuing to take the previous level when they move up to the next. It's really valuable.

Moon

I didn't repeat beginners class, because I can't afford two courses at this moment :( And I really want to do the continueing course I'm doing now. I think it's really valuable to repeat a class, but I also want to learn more and I would feel kind of stuck if I would see the other students who did continue doing more challenging movements which I think I would be able to do too with some explanation and practice. I hope I'm making sense now. Besides that, my teacher told me last year she thought I was ready to continue, so that made me more confident to do so.
There are other students who repeat a class, but usually because they don't feel confident yet to move on or because they missed a lot of classes the year before. I think I will repeat advanced course a few times when I'm ready for that, and if I'm able to afford two courses at the same time I could repeat beginners too.

Lydia

Hi there ,i have many students that repeating the beginners class even girls that are with me for more than 3 years just to refresh its a good idea Lydia

kiewiet

I went back twice , once with a friend starting and then later with my daughter. My teacher didn't mind and I learnt lots. In fact it was the best thing I could have done as my technique improved heaps.It amazed me how much I benefitted from doing this even though I had been dancing for several years!

Shanazel

I wish to goodness some of my students would repeat beginning classes. My dancers have the option of attending both beginning and continung classes if they like- the classes actually overlap for about 15 minutes. It wasn't my choice to do this, the rec center powers that be made the choice, but the situation has its merits. Beginners rarely stay for the continuing class more than a few minutes, but several continuing students regularly come in to practice with the beginners.

da Sage

I didn't repeat beginners class, because I can't afford two courses at this moment :( And I really want to do the continueing course I'm doing now. I think it's really valuable to repeat a class, but I also want to learn more and I would feel kind of stuck if I would see the other students who did continue doing more challenging movements which I think I would be able to do too with some explanation and practice. I hope I'm making sense now. Besides that, my teacher told me last year she thought I was ready to continue, so that made me more confident to do so.
There are other students who repeat a class, but usually because they don't feel confident yet to move on or because they missed a lot of classes the year before. I think I will repeat advanced course a few times when I'm ready for that, and if I'm able to afford two courses at the same time I could repeat beginners too.

Hi Moon,

I think that what you are doing is just fine. Remember, some people take a lot of classes because they are not so good at practicing at home. Others want to learn from every teacher in town. Why stay in the beginner class if you have most of the moves, and are ready to learn the advanced stuff? If you have to choose one class, it's good to challenge yourself. Especially since your class is a year long...it would be silly to hold yourself back for a whole year just out of perfectionism.;)

gwinity

Thank you for all of your comments and support! *group hug* I'm glad it's not a huge no-no in the community!

One more thing that concerns me, though, is that my teacher has not charged me for doing both classes (I'm more than happy to pay the extra). Like Shanazel's, the course is run through the community centre, and the Intermediate overlaps the Beginners by uhalf an hour (or whenever they turn up) on the same night. Those other Intermediate dancers who turn up early also participate in the beginners drills, but I'm the only one there right from the start.

What is the etiquette for this? Shanazel (and everyone else, of course) what do you do? Do you charge the Intermediate dancers more for the longer lessons, or ...?

Shanazel

No, there is no extra charge, and in the long run I think it works out well financially for the rec center. My beginning classes are full with a waiting list; the continuing classes are a good healthy size, with enough room for the more ambitious beginners to come in and learn more difficult things. People love to feel they are getting a bargain- especially when they are- and it doesn't cost the rec center anything extra to overlap the classes and allow people to attend both. Now, if the classes were on different nights, the policy would probably be different.

If you are concerned about the payments issue at your studio, simply ask your teacher how she would like for you to deal with it.

gwinity

Oh, I understand that if the classes were on different nights, this issue wouldn't even exist - I'm considering taking a third class with her on a different night, and have already put aside the money for it. Our classes are quite small at the moment, so there is plenty of room for extra bodies, whether they're drop-in, enrolling late or people like me.

I just don't want my teacher to be out of pocket or something because she has to teach an extra person. Thanks for your advice. :)

gwinity

Thank you. ~blushing~

I spoke to my teacher last night in the break between classes, and she told me not to be ridiculous.