Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am really, incredibly, lucky. My dealings with the press have been positive. Either they just print what I send them or they write an article that coherently follows the information I gave them in the interview.

I guess today's a day for counting my blessings - so far this is the second time I've realised how lucky I am with my dance and I've only been up for half an hour!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I remember a particularly annoying inteviewer with a bug in her bonnet. She kept trying to lead us into saying what she wanted to hear on camera. No-one bit - not even to say "it is not so that ..." - being aware the context could be removed. So she did it as a voice over. Grrr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Hallelujah, brother Tarik, and a chorus of amens! I quit doing interviews re: belly dance. Any requests are now referred to a dancer/teacher who thrives on publicity and never mind the misrepresentations and misunderstandings.

That being said and in the interest of full disclosure, I write for the media as a freelancer. I owe Salome an article right now.
    So you ever find yourself in the situation where you're forced into editing your articles down to practically nothing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Yes, I remember a particularly annoying inteviewer with a bug in her bonnet. She kept trying to lead us into saying what she wanted to hear on camera. No-one bit - not even to say "it is not so that ..." - being aware the context could be removed. So she did it as a voice over. Grrr.
    Now that's sinking to a new low! That tops all the **cktarded nonsense I've had to deal with and then some!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik Sultan View Post
    So you ever find yourself in the situation where you're forced into editing your articles down to practically nothing?
    My articles have always been printed exactly as written because I do good research, edit my work judiciously, and present the buyer with exactly the word count desired.

Re: the voice over. Unprofessional, unethical, and indefensible.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    If I never hear the word wiggle associated with belly dance again it will be too soon.
    I KNOW! Enough with the wiggling midriff!

But in all seriousness, it wasn't a terrible article...just kind of stereotypical and not innovative. And then the feminine/masculine movements got brought up again. Men and women may tend to look different in the dance because of their different body structures, not because they should differentiate their dance. "Strong" hand movements? I'm a woman and I will sure as heck use "strong" hand positions if the music calls for it!

Post Thanks / Like

wiggle wiggle wiggle...yeah! Wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!

@Kashmir, that's extremely unethical :/ sucks you had to go through that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mizznaaa View Post

Wiggle wiggle wiggle...yeah! Wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!
    Oh noooo!

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, that article & many more recent ones, are far, far better than what used to be written about Raqs Sharqi in the Western press - & I have scrapbooks full of them to prove it.

Aunt Rocky, who came off the Ark ...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been misquoted or misrepresented by b.s. fantasist voice-overs so often, I've lost count. I ask to see the article before it's printed to correct errors, but most don't care.

THAT is another big reason why I finally wrote my book.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast