Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting article found on Pininterest;

Post Thanks / Like

If I never hear the word wiggle associated with belly dance again it will be too soon.

They quoted some good stuff and yay for Andrea Deagon saying it's a human experience thing, but there was a whiff of that old article Zorba loves so much (joke!) with the male and female movements.

So come on you lot, who's been holding out on me, when do I get to learn the dark art of knocking a man of his seat with my hip? Or the swoon move that is unfit for men to do - seriously, what is that? Turkish drop? I've seen Ozgen do that; extremely not girly IMHO.

Also I'm not sure about the bit about women not dancing for men in Muslim society. Not for religious types maybe, and not if they want to be thought of as nice girls, but I think it happens

Was that "our" Tarik they were talking about at the end?
    Last edited by Aniseteph; 08-10-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: stupid tablet autocorrects

Post Thanks / Like

With lots of practice, some say, a woman can knock a man off his chair with a casual sway of a hip.
    I've always found a roundhouse to the jaw to be more effective.

Imagine some poor dear belly dancer knocking people off their chairs as she makes her way to a theater seat.

But overall this article is a stride forward in equal opportunity nonsense.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Was that "our" Tarik they were talking about at the end?
    Yes. That 10 years ago’s “OUR Tarik” he was talking about. Tarik still has the costume (gold-embroidered vest and crushed velvet baggy pants of forest green) and he can wear it, BUT no linger with "bare-chested” Now he wears black mesh shirt, and doesn’t do Moroccan Tea tray dance but do “Shisha dance”
    Also he is no longer high school teacher in the Bronx or dance at “Ladies night” Yeah, things has been changing since 10 years ago....
    Last edited by Pirika Repun; 08-11-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

for example. Women use soft, coy hand gestures to lend allure.
    I like to use a soft, coy gesture to lend the middle finger....

woops, did I say that out-loud?
    Last edited by MizzNaaa; 08-12-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's okay, dear. We didn't hear you.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

"To the casual observer, the mechanics of the dance for men and women are much the same..." They're much the same to the dancer as well. This was the only part of the article I didn't care for - defining certain moves as masculine/feminine, and confusing that with biology.

An interesting article. I've never heard of male belly-dance classes before.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously Shanazel, what is it with people and women lending 'allure'. Uhm, men can be just as coy and alluring. Sometimes more. STAHP WITH THE GENDER ROLES OKAY? JUST STAHP.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember this piece of crap. The reporter took hours of my time and totally ignored most of the cultural and historical information I gave him, not to mention the research video footage I shared with him. The one semi factual paragraph in the article he totally took from me, without giving me any credit and for all that time, all I got was a metion of dancing in a restaurant and the compliment of knowing how to shake. BUT I'M NOT BITTER!

Honestly, more often than not, this has been my experience with the media. 9 times out of 10 they come to you with preconceived notions which they refuse to part with despite the amount of evidence given with credible proof to back it up. I stated very clearly, repeatedly, that this dance is primarily a social dance done by both sexes and it's only the aspect of popular entertainment developed in the early 20th century that was exclusively female. I gave him detailed explanations, verbally and written, of how, where, and why men have begun to perform it professionally...... and this is what he came up with.

What I've learned subsequently, is that most news media exist primarily for the sake of advertising. Therefore, the space given to written material is severely limited, making it almost impossible to tell an accurate story. I take most of what I read with a gigantic grain of salt.

Post Thanks / Like

Hallelujah, brother Tarik, and a chorus of amens! I quit doing interviews re: belly dance. Any requests are now referred to a dancer/teacher who thrives on publicity and never mind the misrepresentations and misunderstandings.

That being said and in the interest of full disclosure, I write for the media as a freelancer. I owe Salome an article right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast