Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    Hi everyone. IMO it's not about becoming PART of the culture, but about understanding at least where the dance comes from and in which cultures the music and dance are grounded. As Yasmine stated, there's much more to Oriental dancing than just knowing the steps and going by the counts. It's connecting to the music, letting it flow through you and being able to represent the music (and the dance) in a way it deserves as well. It takes a time to master muscle control and understanding of music and culture, and IMO anyone performing already after even one year of Oriental dance studies (esp. when it comes from learning by video's alone, which will make the student miss out on a lot of benefits they could get from a live teacher) is way too soon. I see people do it all the time though, and most of the time people understand too less about the dance alltogether to give a good representation (there are exceptions ofcourse, but I've seen only few). This might be allright for student hafla's and student recitals though where it is clear the person in question is a STUDENT, (and it's cool for her to want to learn the dance for fun, it is fun, and it should be) but to go into a talent show or competition after just one year seems a bit too unrealistic for my taste.

I hope that didn't sound too BOB'ish, just my two cents
    Arabic dance exists *because* of Arabic music, not as independent movements. If you know nothing of the music, rhythms, culture, you really know nothing of the dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Suheir .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12