Thread: traveling steps

Post Thanks / Like

Default traveling steps

Does anyone know of any good dvds that does drilling just on traveling steps?

Post Thanks / Like

Keti Sharif's 1001 Moves. The third disc is all and ONLY traveling moves. I know I spent a lot of time singing the praises of this dvd, but I've found it to be excellent. Also, it will give you the progression you were seeking in a different thread.

Post Thanks / Like

okay thanx. maybe I should go back to that one, although I already know most of those moves.

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! $110 plus tax. I don't believe that one will be going into my collection any time soon.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but I think it's worth it.

1) It's 3 dvds.
    2) Multiple angles for each move/footwork demonstrated
    3) Her costumes and sets were very well chosen for each dvd - all different but also very easy to see her movement both on her body and against the background.
    4) Very clear instructions using multiple ways to describe each one. (each move uses verbal descriptions, feels-like descriptions, visualisations and a futher breakdown for extra clarity)

As you know, I have a LOT (hundreds - no exaggeration) of dvds and despite this being one of my early acquisitions (when I had around 10 dvds) this remains a clear favourite for the reasons I listed above.

And yes, I fully admit to being a Keti fan girl.

Post Thanks / Like

ouch indeed. but i already ouched myself and bought it. it is good for lots of little mini-drillz. i actually learned one or two things. if you want to consider keti sharif, call her, tell her your dance experience and she can recommend something for you. she actually recommended a different dvd to me and i sort of wished I had taken her advice.

Post Thanks / Like

She knows I'm a fan girl. I've told her so.

I am also running out of dvds of hers to buy. Thus what I said about being a Keti fan girl. Which dvd did she recommend for you, btw?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a "drilling" DVD, but Belly Dance Travel Steps: A Choreographer's Movement Catalog of Layers, Accents & Step Combinations by Autumn Ward covers this subject nicely:

Post Thanks / Like

i believe she recommended the a-z basic dvd set

Post Thanks / Like

A-Z is interesting. I have a love-hate relationship with it. It won't teach you footwork, but it will give you some nice juicy combinations ranging from fairly simple through to complex to play with. And there's always the bonus of knowing that other dancers will know what you mean when you write A-Z Orig. E on your choreo notes. It's a codefied format of combinations that can be used in a variety of styles but predominantly in oriental with a world fusion flavour. (can you tell I spent the last week re-writing my lending library catalogue?)