traveling steps

Darshiva

Keti Sharif's 1001 Moves. The third disc is all and ONLY traveling moves. I know I spent a lot of time singing the praises of this dvd, but I've found it to be excellent. Also, it will give you the progression you were seeking in a different thread.

Darshiva

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but I think it's worth it.

1) It's 3 dvds.
2) Multiple angles for each move/footwork demonstrated
3) Her costumes and sets were very well chosen for each dvd - all different but also very easy to see her movement both on her body and against the background.
4) Very clear instructions using multiple ways to describe each one. (each move uses verbal descriptions, feels-like descriptions, visualisations and a futher breakdown for extra clarity)

As you know, I have a LOT (hundreds - no exaggeration) of dvds and despite this being one of my early acquisitions (when I had around 10 dvds) this remains a clear favourite for the reasons I listed above.

And yes, I fully admit to being a Keti fan girl. :)

Ahava_Melantha

ouch indeed. but i already ouched myself and bought it. it is good for lots of little mini-drillz. i actually learned one or two things. if you want to consider keti sharif, call her, tell her your dance experience and she can recommend something for you. she actually recommended a different dvd to me and i sort of wished I had taken her advice.

Darshiva

She knows I'm a fan girl. I've told her so. :)

I am also running out of dvds of hers to buy. Thus what I said about being a Keti fan girl. Which dvd did she recommend for you, btw?

Sirène

It's not a "drilling" DVD, but Belly Dance Travel Steps: A Choreographer's Movement Catalog of Layers, Accents & Step Combinations by Autumn Ward covers this subject nicely:

[video=youtube;DVlh_XRUN_s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVlh_XRUN_s[/video]

Darshiva

A-Z is interesting. I have a love-hate relationship with it. It won't teach you footwork, but it will give you some nice juicy combinations ranging from fairly simple through to complex to play with. And there's always the bonus of knowing that other dancers will know what you mean when you write A-Z Orig. E on your choreo notes. It's a codefied format of combinations that can be used in a variety of styles but predominantly in oriental with a world fusion flavour. (can you tell I spent the last week re-writing my lending library catalogue?)