Drumming for dancers

Duvet

I've recently met a chap who is a good darabuka player, and in my (very limited) opinion is good enough to play for dancers. He has never done this before and is slightly dubious and nervous about his ability. Whilst I can find him a friendly environment in which to practice (even if its just me dancing, or him playing along to a cd whilst there is dancing going on) he's ask me if there is anything on-line he could watch to give him some practice.

I suggested he find a bellydance soloist, hear what the rhythm is, but then turn the sound down and play along to what the dancer is doing. My thought was that this would help him see how a dancer uses the rhythms, and how the drummer can respond to the dancer. Is that a sensible idea? What bellydance clip can anyone suggest where this might work? Are there any online sources or tips for drumming to dancers, and is there any other advise I could pass on to him - other than actually doing it (as that's the only real way to learn)?

Mosaic

Super Moderator

Aniseteph

It might be helpful to drum along watching beginner belly dance DVDs that are the right style and use the right sort of music; lots of repetition and simple structures could help drill the connection between the rhythm and movement. I'd expect a solo dancer's performance to be quite complex and harder to get a handle on. Watching and listening is obviously valuable, but joining in (as dancer or drummer) could be a bit much information to process. It's hard for new dancers to analyse what a more experienced dancer is doing; I can't imagine it's any easier for a dance-inexperienced drummer.

Sirène

The Amir Naoum DVD is NOT what you're looking for, unless your friend has no experience with Middle Eastern rhythms. That DVD is strictly drumming basics, no dancing.

The Bellydance Rhythms Workout and The Heartbeat of Bellydance with Jenna DVDs are very basic and I don't believe will help your friend much since the drumming in both videos is repetitive because it's meant for drilling, not performance.

I recommend Belly Dance Drum Solos: Concepts for Dancers And Drummers. This is a more advanced DVD but since your friend is already a "good darabuka player" I think this will be more helpful than DVDs meant for baby beginners. It's expensive, but the price to rent/stream it online is very affordable: $2.50USD/week, $8.00 USD/month.

[video=youtube;8O5BYwYkur0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O5BYwYkur0[/video]