Post Thanks / Like

Default Making time for practice

Just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on making time for bellydance as I have a 5 month baby and a 21 month old, so as you can imagine my schedule is quite hectic and I am constantly tired. I do two different classes and can't afford to do anymore. But when I'm in the house (which is small) I find it difficult as it seems to displease my toddler when I dance even though I try to get him to join in and make it fun but as soon as I've warmed up he gets bored. I end up practicing in the bathroom as my bath is running or in the kitchen while making dinner etc.

So, anyone with any tips?

Also can't make too much noise at night when they are sleeping or during nap times etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Default some tips for you

I was in exactly the same situation when my children were little, and they are close together like yours. Here is what I did: I worked out and danced while they napped, and I made sure they had nap time every day, I was a stay home mom. When I really had to practice and they were'nt napping, I just played dancin and didn't to focus on choreography. I was teaching dance at the time so I really had to have my time to prepare for class and write choreographies. At night a lot of times I choreographed without music and tried to use the feeling of my song which I knew to help me put moves together, or I would just put the music on really low. Include the babies, I would put them each on a hip and spin around shake and shimmy and just listen to my music. Any little bit helps. I also together with other dancers who had kids and we worked on danced stuff while the kids played together. I shimmied and worked on standing moves while cooking, I had my music on all the time, so I could dance anytime I wanted to, even if it was just to shimmy walk to the bathroom. That's how it was for me, but I promise it gets better, especially when the little one gets bigger and they are able to play together and keep each other occupied and you will have opportunity to dance. It gets better and easier!! Just let them know this is what you do and that you must have this time to do it, just like everything esle that is required of you, you must dance!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i totally understand,you need dance as your time out for you.
    i practise at night i put on my mp3 player when mine are in bed,even if its only for 15 minutes,i always do something.

Post Thanks / Like

Pimsleur method of adult learning:

Practice whatever you want to learn for 20 minutes, every day, at the same time every day.

It's key you do it everyday, and at the same time of day. Something about putting your body/brain in the right state to learn.

You can gradually "up" the 20 minutes to a longer period of time when the kids are more accepting of Mom having private time. (If that ever happens - lol)