Good articles on student etiquette

Darshiva

Actually, I've been trying to apply that thought to my tribal classes. So much of oriental sneaks its way in & I'm having to really think about posture & styling. It's a wonderful challenge (and I guess that's the major benefit of cross-training anyway!)

Shanazel

Leave your dance in a little bag at the door.

This. Very this. I am with Farida all the way whether I'm teaching (or attending) classes in dance, needlework, or writing. If a student isn't interested in learning a particular teacher's techniques, why does she or he bother to pay for the class?

One of the mysteries of the universe, surely. ;)

Anthea Kawakib

another etiquette article...

I have publicly admitted committing the breaches of etiquette, and am on the path to redemption. I was curious what you all thought of the articles, knowing we are all in different places as students.

What! I cannot believe that! :)
Actually I found myself doing the "So and so says you do it this way..." in riding class, haha. I nipped it quick! So I get it.

I also wrote an article on manners for students going to workshops and shows too, here it is: Workshop and Show Etiquette for Bellydancers

what do you think, I bet you've seen some of those infractions -
Anthea Kawakib

Aniseteph

Interesting articles, and I love the concept of leaving your dance in a little bag at the door.

I hope people are over the self applause these days, it sounds really annoying. The thing that grates with me A LOT is the videoing getting out of hand. I think instructors and/or organisers need to take a firm line, with the default being that nobody gets filmed unless they explicitly opt in. Too often there's a session at the end when the cameras come out, and it's assumed that everyone is OK with that. Nope.

gisela

Super Moderator
Luckily I haven't experienced that kind of self-applause. That would drive me nuts! Usually, in the workshops I've attended, people applaud - 1: the very first time we finish the choreo, just out of excitement. 2: if we split the group in two and practice the choreo in front of the other half. 3:at the end of the workshop.
I really hope the new trend doesn't spread.

PracticalDancer

What! I cannot believe that! :) . . .

You flatter me, dear! I had forgotten about your articles -- I think I had read this one, even. We'll blame my cold. There are good lessons in your article, too. I think the applause is, when I do it -- and I admit that I do it -- actually applause for the instructor, not for me. I feel like I am thanking him/her for not only putting together something I like to watch, but also to do, and getting me through the process of learning it. It seems an appropriate way to say thanks. It never occurred to me that people might think I am applauding for myself . . . :S

And, after going on a bit of a quest about "what can you learn when you 'can't' learn from an instructor," I wrote this, which I had forgotten about, too!

Anthea Kawakib

hi Darshiva, please do, I'd be honored.
I also agree on the videotaping; that's inconsiderate, without asking first - whether it's by other students or the staff. At least give people a choice.

xoxo

Munniko

Wow, those are some great articles! I know that I find myself wondering what I've done that could have been annoying. I have been guilty of supplying information when the instructor was explaining about walking pigeon toed, I'm not sure if it was considered rude because she was commenting how the Japanese do this to be cute, and I mentioned that it was also the traditional way to walk due to how kimono sit on the body......reading that article I'm finding myself wondering if I should have just kept my mouth shut, but at the same time I didn't want misinformation about my culture out there.

I definitely will keep myself in better check with how I act at workshops and in class...I have a bad habit of bringing up my time with my first dance instructor and the unique situation that was.