Question

BlueDogDem31

Were any of you ever scared of wearing a bra in public for bellydancing and how did you get over it?

For me it was by practicing around the house in my regular bra

Last edited by a moderator:

Darshiva

No, because I always do costume check & maintainance after each performance and I wear nude pasties just in case there is a malfunction. So even if there was a malfunction I'd be all barbie doll anyway.

Kashmir

I don't perform in public; Kashmir performs in public - and she is bullet proof.

Seriously, consider developing a performance personna.

gisela

Super Moderator
Not really. I am not quite comfortable with showing my bare belly but with a belly stocking it's fine. My costume bras are so much more substantial than a street bra, so I don't feel like I am wearing just a bra. It's a costume part.

Farasha Hanem

In answer to your question, Bluedog, a lingerie bra and a costume bra are not the same thing, even though they cover the same acreage. Lingerie bras are not meant to be worn on stage in bellydance, so I don't even consider them the same as a costume bra. At home, you can wear whatever is comfortable to you. I wear either crop tops or cholis for classwear (or even a T-shirt rolled up to expose the midriff), and wear either the same for home practice, or a well-padded sports bra. If you've recently started bellydance, then you shouldn't need to worry about public performance yet. :)

Last edited:

Munniko

I didn't really care the first time I wore a bra in public because like Kashmir said it isn't really me performing. My teacher was actually really surprised because my facial expressions just popped into place unlike in class where there really isn't any expression or it isn't fully realized.

Amulya

My first performance was in a two piece costume but I was with a big group, that made a big difference, we all wore two piece costumes so it wasn't really a big deal. I suggest practising in consume at home.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I was at first. When I was a beginner student I didn't wear them at all. I wore full tops. However now I am making my own performance bra tops but I rarly just wear that alone; I usually wear a shrug of some sort on top.

Also dance bra tops don't look like lingerie so my brain does not associate it with that. Actually the ones I make are much more secure to wear than regular bras and don't even look like something that comes off a rack.