Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

No no, DEFINITELY skip ahead to arms. Arms are both incredibly stupidly easy and insanely difficult at the same time. You want to be learning arms and posture right from the beginning so you aren't UNLEARNING any bad habits when you do finally get around to learning arms.

First example: my beginner students, who drill arms & posture every week, start to get a handle on their arms in terms of elegance & strength after a few MONTHS.

Second example: I never learned arms & posture from my first two bellydance teachers (in fact, one of them yelled at me for daring to use my hands & arms during drills, but that's another story!) It was just assumed to be something you'd "get" because it's so easy, etc etc. Four years later with sloppy arms & horrendous posture and me deciding I wanted to teach, I had to retrain myself from scratch using weights & props and after about 18 months of daily drills, my arms were finally "acceptable". Not good. Acceptable. Just.

So skip ahead and learn your arms stuff. Particularly framing. It's something you can (and SHOULD!) practice whilst you are drilling your moves & footwork.

Also, I agree with Kashmir. Mayas are not a simple move. They're something I include in my basic class, certainly, but they are a basic layered move (in that they move in two directions simultaneously)
    Last edited by Darshiva; 10-08-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I leave mayas away down the track. Not a beginner move - and not something to practice - let alone drill - without someone checking your posture.

Post Thanks / Like

I pop them in at week 5 - IF people are ready for it. Meaning they have clean, crisp slides and lifts/drops on all the postures, excellent posture, and have good abdominal articulations (meaning they will be able to use their abs to maintain stability as they move) Some times it can be months before they get covered. There's plenty of stuff for basic level without rushing on to your different 8s.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

A good way to practice the Maya is to grab on to the back of a chair, so you can focus on the movement and not your balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Cat Lady View Post
    A good way to practice the Maya is to grab on to the back of a chair, so you can focus on the movement and not your balance.
    Interesting - balance has never been an issue with mayas for me - nor has any of my students mentioned it. Rather it is a back killer.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Kashmir - all the hip 8s require excellent posture to avoid back pain (and even then they sometimes are a move that needs to be omitted for an individual)
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

oO! The Maya was one of the first moves I learned when I was a beginner! I was taught that it was a "basic move"!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12