Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default expiration date?

Is there truly an expiration date on dancing? Is it true that belly dance is NOT a crone's dance?

I would love to do this dance until my deathbed. Morocco is in her 70s and still dancing. Right now I am not performing but would love to return one day, maybe when my kidz are older.

So how do you all feel? I'm not young anymore but I do not like the idea of being a "crone" just because I'm older. And sort of being told this just makes me wanna dance anyways, haha

Is this dance really too sensual for young kidz? is it too sexy for 50 year olds and 60 and 70 and 80 year olds?

I would love to know your input. for performing in public as an amateur and as a pro.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some people who feel that way, but I STRONGLY disagree. After all, there's this arabic saying that one can't truly dance until one has life experience. And that's not exactly something that evaporates as you age!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

okay, thank you so much. I do think my dancing has more depth as I have experience more pain, grief, despair, joy, happiness, etc

Post Thanks / Like

Who you calling "crone," honey? She and the hag are storybook characters with bad complexions and worse attitudes. Robert Graves is the main promulgator of the Wise Woman as crone and I say the hell with him and his sexist vision. The Triple Goddess is maiden, mother, and grandmother.

Samia Gamal was fifty in this clip: Samia Gamal 1972 In Color - YouTube

Tell me this lady is too old at 92 to dance or be sexy: Unbelievable Ginger Rogers Salsa Performance. She's 92 Years Old! - YouTube

The belly dancer starting at 1:23 is 60. Pregnant Woman & 60 Year Old Belly Dancing - YouTube

This gal is 75. The dance starts about 1:30 Sa 75 godina ple?e salsu - YouTube

Another lady with gray in her hair mature belly dancer - YouTube

Feeling a little better about your encroaching decrepitude? I might mention I am 58 and not anywhere near the eldest around this place.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Holy hell ginger was awesome. And I note that she was STILL the far superior dancer. Grandson flubbed the holds a couple of times but she was always on the beat & moved perfectly. And that dismount! HOLY HELL INDEED!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, she has had years more practice than he has.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Dance as long as you want to and are able. I am now 65 & continue to dance It is a dance for young & old alike.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

is it too sexy for 50 year olds and 60 and 70 and 80 year olds?
    This is not belly dance, but it's a good one whenever the little voices tell me to grow up and act my age and not belly dance.

Can you imagine the look Ms Kitt would have given anyone who told her she was too old to flirt and play the femme fatale? I can. She'd have eaten them for breakfast too. Age has nothing to do with it.

For belly dancing for fun among people who appreciate it, there's no age limit, and I feel sorry for people who think it's just for the young and attractive because IMHO they are missing the point.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you Shanazel for all of those clips. Will be looking at them shortly. I can't WAIT, but gotta make breakfast first.

I feel so much better, lol. I deeply appreciate it as I'd love to dance for years and years to come. Glad I won't be the only one.

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome, Ahava.

Thank you, Aniseteph! I looked for an Eartha video and couldn't find the one I wanted. There is one somewhere of her singing Santa Baby not long before she died. She was as sexy as ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast