Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry Farasha hanem, I figured this topic would be controversial, so I just posted it under debate

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, hey, everything's okay! ^^;; So far, anyway! ^^;; >.> <.< >.>

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently retired because of being ill and I would not be able to represent this dance nicely ATM because I can't train and I collapse if I dance more than a minute. So I'm not exactly the type of dancer someone wants to hire haha (unless they want a fainting dancer for Halloween)

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to have to be a personal choice that no one can make for you.

Honestly, I no longer have an interest in dancing at the same type of venues I did when I was younger anyway: bars, belly grams, parades, office balloon deliveries, community festivals, and basically I've decided against doing venues that aren't belly dance-centric or are geared more toward moving wallpaper. When I was a CYT I danced at *everything* that came along. Now that I'm older, I'm not wasting my time dancing for people that don't appreciate it. Quality of gig vs. quantity. I'm also doing more teaching than performing, so I don't miss dancing out as much.

If there comes a day when dance is physically painful, or I just can't physically dance well enough to be hired, I will have to make a decision. I can still teach, dance socially, and lecture, and be an enthusiastic audience member

Post Thanks / Like

Very early on I decided there were gigs I wouldn't do, but for me they were especially restaurant gigs. For various reasons: dancers were treated badly, paid badly and audience not interested, they come to eat, not to watch the dancer. Maybe it's different in each country, but this how it was in Holland.
    I also didn't do the wall paper thing, I think that's rediculous, we as dancers have invested too much to be wall paper. And never bars, bachelor parties etc.
    though community festivals I liked, they used to be appreciative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    Very early on I decided there were gigs I wouldn't do, but for me they were especially restaurant gigs. For various reasons: dancers were treated badly, paid badly and audience not interested, they come to eat, not to watch the dancer. Maybe it's different in each country, but this how it was in Holland.
    I also didn't do the wall paper thing, I think that's rediculous, we as dancers have invested too much to be wall paper. And never bars, bachelor parties etc.
    This is how I think; I'm still a baby belly, but if I ever do go pro, there are some things I already just wouldn't do. Like the bars, the bellygrams, etc. I think the problem is that in these venues, there is nothing Middle Eastern about them so to me it just feels really out of place. To me, at least if you dance in a restaurant, you are (hopefully) part of a larger Middle Eastern atmosphere, with food, music, decoration, and maybe musicians. In other cases, why would I perform to an audience that doesn't understand the lyrics or the context of the dance? I admire the dancers who are able to work abroad for some time; there, even if it is a short time and they are not too successful, they get to dance in an actual Middle Eastern context. Doing this at some point in my future would be a dream come true.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind non ME venues and parties because we can educate people about bellydance. Most gigs I did were non ME (or non ME setting) and most audiences I have had loved it. I want to share my love for dancing so I didn't want to limit myself to only one type of gig. Also you have to know that if you do that you will have less opportunity to dance.
    I also did theatre work and that's totally different, but you get great audience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    W

What...whaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAT??? WALL paper??? WHAT on God's green earth??? o_____@???

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Jane mentioned it, have you never been asked for a gig where you basically just had to be a backdrop, not even dancing at all, just be decoration? I have had people ask and I never wanted to do it. It's stupid and also it pays crap.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hand them a hanger & an airport special. :P
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast