Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    That looks like what I call a shoulder accent (with a bit of speed of course).
    Yes - a little too rough to be a shimmy. Doing that for extended periods would hurt. But the mechanics are similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I think I'll leave that style single shoulder shimmy out of my repetoir until I find a teacher who I can trust to teach me that one safely.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

There's an Algerian dance called Aloui where they do the same movement. You also see it in Eithiopian dance. Really cool. I don't think there is a right or wrong time to teach it as they both require practice to master.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Yes - a little too rough to be a shimmy. Doing that for extended periods would hurt. But the mechanics are similar.
    My feelings entirely. I feel that doing it for any longer than in the clip will hurt. As a flirty accent it is OK but so often western dancers seem to missunderstand the spirit of the dance and nail a movement firmly to the musical phrase thinking that we "understand the music" and are being authentic

Post Thanks / Like

The shoulder accent in the clip is different from what I call a one shoulder shimmy, her arm is up, but a one shoulder shimmy is done with the arm low for at medium height. That's how my teachers used to teach it. And it's always done quite short as an accent, but it can still be a shimmy if multiple moves done quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12