Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default From ballet to belly dance

Hello everyone!

I am a 20 year old ballet dancer gone rogue. I started dancing late (16) and have had a love-hate relationship with it ever since. For me there is nothing like putting on a pair of pointe shoes and feeling myself get lost in the music, but sometimes it seems like ballet is taking over my life, and not in a good way. I have an hour glass figure and it frustrates me to spend so much time and energy on an art form where normal female anatomy is considered "bad" and something to starve away. I also get fed up with the tendency for the ballet world to live in the past and constantly dance the same pieces in the same costumes instead of creating something new that resonates with a modern audience.

I've always been interested in belly dancing as cross-training and a more positive outlet but could never find classes in my area. However, I just transferred from community college to a 4-year university for the film program and was thrilled to find that we have a belly dance club! I will be joining and taking class with them in January, and I may even be able to bus myself to the city for a workshop or two. Right now I'm an absolute beginner trying to learn the basics from DVD's, but I think I would like to focus on cabaret style. I'm also a fashion junkie and I'm interested in learning to make my own embellished bras and other costume pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. You've come to the right place.

You got en pointe in less than four years? Wow!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you following your dreams ( all of them ) I am sure you are going to fall head over heels in love with bellydance. Your hour glass figure will fit right in - no starving necessary
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the world of belly dance! You might enjoy an article I wrote that talks about some of the differences between ballet and belly dance: Of Ballet and Belly Dance

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! You're now ONE OF US! ONE OF US!! ONE OF US!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for making me feel welcome everyone, and thanks for the link to your article Shira. Just from practicing posture and isolations, belly dance feels like the opposite of ballet(My legs keep wanting to turn out and my feet want to rise to demi pointe). However I hadn't even considered differences like audience interaction or traveling vs non-traveling choreography. I'm fine with dancing but when it comes to meeting new people and interacting, I'm a bit shy. Losing the fourth wall will be a challenge for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Demi pointe is not a problem with Am Cab.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Rosie, I look forward to chatting with you further as you explore your journey with belly dance! One of the biggest challenges for ballet-trained dancers, I think, is to put aside everything you "think" you know about what "dance" should be since the aesthetics of belly dance are so very different from ballet. Stuff like instead of extension, bringing the energy inside. Instead of choreographed precision, responding spontaneously to the music with improvisational dancing. And so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, can't wait to hear more about your journey ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast