New prop

Jeanne

Yeah, I just saw that comment too. That does put a bit of a different spin on the conversation. However, the way she drags that in during the apology post doesn't make much sense --

what about people like princess Farhana who is a bursleque dancer and bellydancer ... ...or others who are strictly fusion ...are they not welcome by you personally ..as an MSW I find that upsetting ....many people dancing do not do Egyptian and that is what I personally do shall I not accept them ....

What does being/having an MSW have to do with the dance issues in this controversy?

Jane

Goodness, my morbid curiosity has been raised to the point where I am almost tempted to sign up for Facebook just to read the drama. Perhaps someone can summarize it for me? Is the person in question championing prostitution as a legitimate sideline for belly dancers or what? Inquiring minds want to know.

PMd you a copy

Jane

The weird thing about about this debacle to me is that it was Nourhan Sharif. She's a longtime high level professional who (as far as I know) doesn't do a lot of out there stuff in her performances. What the, er...heck? :think:

Farasha Hanem

Some of her sentences were run-on sentences, which made it rather hard to decipher where she was going in her train of thought. Still, it seems quite unprofessional, especially since she herself was being judgemental.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
The weird thing about about this debacle to me is that it was Nourhan Sharif. She's a longtime high level professional who (as far as I know) doesn't do a lot of out there stuff in her performances. What the, er...heck? :think:
I don't understand either. I took an incredible workshop from her a number of years back, she's fantastic!

I like collector firearms. But I don't dance with them...

Jeanne

Exactly. I've been an admirer of hers up to now -- her raqs assaya DVD is one of my all-time favorite instructional videos. Frankly, more than anything else I'm just confused by this.

Shanazel

Proving once again that human beings are complex beasties.

Thanks for the PM, Jane. I appreciate it.

Like Gisela, I'm not inclined to boycott based on someone's sexual practices but I would be concerned about returning items when the owner of a business comes this unglued upon having an item in her inventory criticized. It's terrible that the child is ill but would I be accused of insensitivity for returning an unsatisfactory item to a mother with a sick child? That makes me think twice about ordering from the company.

Kashmir

I just read in a comment in her page that she has an MSW and has worked with domestic abuse victims. Wouldn't that mean "Master of social work" and not something sexual?
Opps - I was responding to the "sex life" comment and the acronym. Seemed to fit with the Belly Dom thing.

Farasha Hanem

I'm not saying "boycott," I'm just saying I wouldn't want to do business with or buy anything from her if she's going to get mad and defensive over requests to remove an item from her store that has nothing to do with bellydance. If she's going to do that, and throw around names like "judgemental," I'd rather not deal with her PMS as a customer. There are a lot of other sellers out there I can buy from who are nice, friendly, and professional.