Sümer Ezgü - Çökertme Lyrics and English Translation ?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Drop mizz Naar a PM she may know although the title looks more Turkish to me, but I could be very wrong:) Also try allthelyrics forum.
~Mosaic

Tanglefoot

Drop mizz Naar a PM she may know although the title looks more Turkish to me, but I could be very wrong:) Also try allthelyrics forum.
~Mosaic

Yes, it is Turkish, for my Turkish dance class, where Çökertme is also a coastal town in the Bodrum area of Turkey. I would ask my dance teacher given she is Turkish, but she is out of the country for a while, so can't.

Last edited:

Duvet

Çökertmeden çıktım da Halilim aman başım selamet
Çökertmeden çıktım da Halilim aman başım selamet

Bitez de yalısına varmadan Halilim aman koptu kıyamet

Burası da Aspat değil Halilim aman Bitez yalısı
Ciğerimi ateş sardı aman kurşun yarası

Ciğerimi ateş sardı aman kurşun yarası

Gidelim gidelim Halilim çökertmeye varalım
Gidelim gidelim Halilim çökertmeye varalım

Kolcular gelirse Halilim nerelere kaçalım
Kolcular gelirse Halilim nerelere kaçalım

Teslim olmayalım Halilim aman kurşun saçalım
Teslim olmayalım Halilim aman kurşun saçalım

Ciğerime ateş sardı aman kurşun yarası

Ciğerime ateş sardı aman kurşun yarası

Google-translation isn't very clear, but the song (of which there are other versions) seems to be about a tobacco smuggler (called Halil) who got shot at Bitez - Bitez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope your teacher can tell you more.

Tanglefoot

Thanks Duvet,

Although I now who what the song is about- I asked a friend who is going to Ankara on business to find out about it where he then sent an SMS to a Turkish Friend who came back with yes, a couple of tobacco smugglers where the authority is trying to stop them so they create a rumour they will take a different road, except authority is wiser and ambushes them where Halil one of the smugglers is killed, where the townsfolk were so upset, they created this song in memory of Halil. Where my friend's Turkish friend says there is a cover of this song in English by Sertab Erener, that I have not yet found.

But I love the music and the tempo changes in this song, where it is I might just remember the choreo for this one although some of the movement is very different to Egyptian style

steffib

I would not bellydance to this song, it is a Zeybek, a deeply meaningful dance to Turks. And, I would also not try to sing it without knowing the language and culture well enough. This is not just another folk song.

steffib

This is the appropriate dance: Zeybek - Çökertme - YouTube - there are many variations, depending on region, but these are the basic steps and the proper costume. The zeybeks were warriors who used to protect villagers and later fought against the Greeks. I cringe at the idea of my conservative Turkish friends seeing a belly dance performance to that song. I performed to Cokertme, but I had learned the correct steps and had consulted with my friends on whether it would be appropriate. I wore a very covered, simple outfit.