Self-Adhesive False Eyelashes

Greek Bonfire

I'm going to finally give in and try wearing false eyelashes. I bought a pair that is self-adhesive. Has anyone else had success with them? Do they stick really well? Up to this point I've been wearing maybe 3-4 layers of mascara but even with that, false eyelashes are so beautiful and LONG. If you use adhesive that is not self-adhesive, how long did it take for you to get the hang of it?

allinorah

I haven't tried self adhesive falsies, but I have tried some self adhesive sparkly thing and I didn't trust it to last a second performance. It stayed throughout the first performance just fine and they came off easily, but it doesn't really feel sticky enough for a 2nd performance.

Shanazel

Once upon a time many many moons ago, I bought a pair of false lashes because all my friends had them and I thought they'd make me look glamorous.

Fail.

The false ones were shorter than my real ones and on top of that kept popping up on the outside of one eye, giving me a decidedly askew expression. Added to the red lipstick and dramatic eye shadow another dancer urged on me (I was a newbie at stage makeup) I looked like a cheap date on Saturday night. :lol: When I performed for the first time in public, I went with something a little lower key.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
My wife tried falsies once. Scared me off of the idea. My natural lashes are fairly decent, and mascara seems to be all I need. :lol:

Yame

I've never tried the self-adhesive ones. The assumption I have is that they will not stay, or if they do they might stick once but if I try to wear them again they won't stick because the adhesive will have dried out.

Why not just buy a pair of false lashes and false lash glue? It just adds ONE extra step to the process (applying glue to the false lash line). It's not like that's even the hard step. Applying glue is the one easy part of applying false lashes. Measuring, cutting them, and most importantly *getting them on*... that's the hard part. And you still have to do that with self-adhesive ones.

And even if you buy the self-adhesive lashes, if you want to wear them multiple times and get the most bang for your buck you're going to end up having to buy glue for them anyway.

Revlon eyelash glue is great if you need a recommendation.

And by the way I have a love-hate relationship with false lashes. I hate applying them, I had the hardest time finding the right ones for my eye shape and I hate the way they feel but goddamn it I love the way they look. I only wear them to performances, and not even all my performances, and I feel like they make a big difference and really finish the whole stage makeup look.

The only kind I have found works for me are the outer corner eyelashes. They are about half the width of the eyelashes for the full eye. They are much easier for me to put on, they stay on better, and they really compliment my eyes... I tried dozens of full eye eyelashes before, and nothing worked for me. I think my eyes are too round or something, because they would never curve enough. They were always either impossible to put on, or they would come off the inner corner, or really bother my eyes, or I felt like I had a small animal on my eyelid, or I hated the way they looked.

So you might have to play around and try different things before writing them off. Some types will really work for some people but not others.

allinorah

I agree with Yame. I got mine to try out at Walmart, probably paid about $6 for both the glue and the falsies and have survived 2 shows.

I really don't *need* them, either. My troupie, when I first joined, asked me what falsies I used and I told her I didn't then.

I feel like they help to polish off the costume. I've always seen my makeup more as a mask that I put to perform a character. Everything is over-dramatized in order to create this illusion. During the day, I may wear red lipstick and mascara and a little blush and foundation, but at night, I need to amp it up. It's like stage make up is regular makeup turned up to 10 and the falsies turn it up to 11. It's so overdramatic that it just works so well.

Yame

I really don't *need* them, either. My troupie, when I first joined, asked me what falsies I used and I told her I didn't then.

I feel like they help to polish off the costume. I've always seen my makeup more as a mask that I put to perform a character. Everything is over-dramatized in order to create this illusion. During the day, I may wear red lipstick and mascara and a little blush and foundation, but at night, I need to amp it up. It's like stage make up is regular makeup turned up to 10 and the falsies turn it up to 11. It's so overdramatic that it just works so well.

PRECISELY. Nobody really "needs" false lashes but I think they help finish off the performance "look." Describing stage makeup as a mask that you put on to perform a character is a perfect way to put it.

Safran

I don't think I've even seen self-adhesive ones, or at least I haven't noticed them. The good thing with using glue is that you can clean the lashes, and re-use them. I am not sure the self-adhesive has such long life...

Greek Bonfire

Thanks everyone. I have to admit that I'm trying them more out of curiosity and if I don't like them, or as Yame said they make me feel like a little animal is sitting on my face (which will be most likely), then I will have gotten it out of my system. Many years ago I tried the adhesive way and it was a total mess, plus they kept popping off my eyes as the shape of my eyes isn't too "user friendly." So with (hopefully) the new and improved (I hope) I thought I would give it another shot.

Daimona

If your eye lids curve a lot you'd either need to get false lashed that curves equally or make sure they are very soft and flexible and will follow your eyelids perfectly. Of course, the glue need to be good quality stuff as well (not necessarily the glue that comes with the cheap lashes).
I've never trusted the adhesive on self-adhesive lashes enough to use without extra glue.
I've bought both some el-cheapo lashes (if they aren't too stiff, they might work once or twice, tops - just wanted to try out some effects) and some quality brand that was simply wonderful.
The next time I buy lashes, it won't be the cheap ones and I will be sure I rinse them between every use to make them last longer.

allinorah

Some tutorials advise cutting the lashes so they can fit your eyes better. Better yet, you might get the individual ones that you can put on precisely. Of course it would be way more tedious, but will still give that va-va-voom aspect. Have fun with it though!!!

Safran

What Allinorah said - if you have trouble fitting the full arch to the eye, cut it! I have even bought Japanes sets of what was meant for lower lashes (they are somewhat shorter and smaller) and used them on the upper lid.

Amulya

Tried the self adhesive ones, doesn't stick. False lashes don't work for me because the strip is too short for my eye lids, so I end up with a whole bit where there is no false eye lashes. Lucky for me though is that people think I wear them, but I don't, just blessed with mega long lashes :D but I love to try ones that would cover the whole eye lid and that don't peel off in the corners.