What on Earth?! So wrong :(

Amulya

Someone is selling her belly dance classes like this :( she has been a long time teacher and should know better. Such a shame that people are still doing stupid things like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 149

Aniseteph

:shok:

I Googled of Kabbasah belly dance to see if it was a thing and found the website. Yup, ancient Arabic sex ritual.

Call me an uptight English prude but... words fail me thinking about those workshops. Let's go with eeww. Eeeeeeew.

Yame

I don't know what Kabbasah belly dance is (and after Aniseteph's post I don't want to find out), and don't buy into the "feminine goddess dance" stuff but what's so wrong about a class that teaches women how to get in touch with their pelvic floor muscles?

It's a great thing to have awareness of and control over for a lot of reasons... not just to increase sexual pleasure (which it will do), but it's also healthy and will prevent/treat problems like urinary incontinence, vaginal prolapse, and other issues that could come about as a result of childbirth, aging, and general weakening of the pelvic floor muscles.

I can understand perhaps that it's off-putting that this is being taught in conjunction with belly dance, as us belly dancers have a tendency to overreact to anything that can be interpreted as being sexual to compensate for the bad rep we get, but on the other hand the pelvic floor muscles can play a part in our dance. I don't personally at this stage of my dancing think about engaging my pelvic floor when I dance, but some dancers out there do and claim it affects the look and feel of the dance.

I've also read somewhere that dancers and athletes who engage their pelvic floor along with the rest of their core muscles have better balance, and I have noticed that when I am having issues holding a balance, engaging my pelvic floor will help.

Would I teach or take this class? Probably not. But I'm not entirely opposed to the concept.

Shanazel

Now, there is a marketing strategy I confess I had not thought of: vagina dance. :lol::rolleyes::lol:

I agree with Yame about the value of strengthening pelvic muscles along with all the other muscles and have in the past mentioned tightening one's pelvic floor as a means of controlling certain movements. I did not, however, base entire workshops on the same and find the concept hysterically (I hope someone gets that obscure pun) funny. And magic balls? Seriously? Imagine the accoutrements for advanced classes.

Reminds me of the seventies when women were sitting in group circles with mirrors getting in touch with their inner workings. I'm all for being in touch with one's inner workings and pelvic floor but think it's most appropriately done in private.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Quite.

If people want to dance about with, how to put it, unusual props, good luck to them. And yay for strong pelvic floors, and the difference a bit of downstairs engagement can do for your belly dancing. I still don't like the belly-dance-as-route-to-erotic-fulfilment angle.

Yame, it's safe to Google, you just get that teacher's website, once you've told Google no you don't mean kabbalah.

Hysterical - hee hee hee :lol:

Jane

You'd think that prop would have rhinestones and a tassel on the end at least ;)

Seriously though, I'm good with the idea of not peeing when I sneeze and using pelvic floor muscles for "holding & centering" during dance. But this takes that idea to a whole 'nother level of personal space and over-share.

Amulya

I don't understand why she doesn't keep that workshop separate from her belly dance stuff, just sell it without the belly dance label. Actually have a different web site for it so people don't get the wrong ideas about belly dance.

LOL Jane, the prop with rhinestones and tassels!

Yame

Now, there is a marketing strategy I confess I had not thought of: vagina dance. :lol::rolleyes::lol:

It gives vajazzling a whole new meaning and purpose, doesn't it? I wonder how long it will be before someone takes this to the next level and starts performing the vagina dance with the magic balls.

EDIT TO ADD: Come to think of it, we should all hope this whole idea kicks off. When the vagina dance becomes a fad, surely no one will think belly dance is scandalous anymore. Win-win.

Last edited:

Jane

NO NO NO! Everyone knows the traditional vagina dances are only to be performed with your magic flaming poi balls under the light of a crescent moon. Vagazeling your lady garden was invented much later by Loie Fuller and was her protest against America's involvement in Vietnam. The unicycle is only used in specific Nile Delta villages at the bi-weekly dubstep harvest celebration. Jeez- do your research people :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Amulya

It gives vajazzling a whole new meaning and purpose, doesn't it? I wonder how long it will be before someone takes this to the next level and starts performing the vagina dance with the magic balls.

EDIT TO ADD: Come to think of it, we should all hope this whole idea kicks off. When the vagina dance becomes a fad, surely no one will think belly dance is scandalous anymore. Win-win.

There is already boob ballet and puppetry of the penis. Seriously, it exists, in Australia! Hahaha there are people that actually perform on stage.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am having a good giggle about the whole thing especially the "props" I think you'd need a tassel anyway, what if you squeeze too hard & they pop up rather than down, you'd have to have some way of retrieving said prop:) Would I go to this class, nope, after giving birth ( many moon ago - so it is 'old-hat') we were told how to do the pelvic floor strengthening exercises anyway, they are good & work, so I don't really need to go & not that interested in fiddling around with props either, but each to their own:)
~Mosaic

Sophia Maria

NO NO NO! Everyone knows the traditional vagina dances are only to be performed with your magic flaming poi balls under the light of a crescent moon. Vagazeling your lady garden was invented much later by Loie Fuller and was her protest against America's involvement in Vietnam. The unicycle is only used in specific Nile Delta villages at the bi-weekly dubstep harvest celebration. Jeez- do your research people :rolleyes:

LOL! :lol: :lol:

Greek Bonfire

I am going to be totally politically incorrect. This is a piece of trash, garbage, and most of all an insult to all of us who spend so much time defending this dance as a beautiful art form, then this dumb bimbo comes along and does something completely stupid like this. I could use stronger words but we are, after all, a classy bunch of people.

Dunyah

Wow, this is mind-bending. Kind of hard to picture this taking place in a dance studio, I mean with the "props" and all.

I do talk about pelvic floor in my dance classes, and I feel it is important to use it in the dance. As women it is important to have toned muscles in that area of the body. But this is just really over-the-top weird to me.

Greek Bonfire

What's so novel about it? Whenever we dance, we do the kegels and other forms of genital muscles, and also we work our chest muscles which include the "girls" and other neighboring areas. Still shaking my head over this one. Next I'll be laughing hysterically - nothing novel about her idea!!

Amulya

I am having a good giggle about the whole thing especially the "props" I think you'd need a tassel anyway, what if you squeeze too hard & they pop up rather than down, you'd have to have some way of retrieving said prop:) Would I go to this class, nope, after giving birth ( many moon ago - so it is 'old-hat') we were told how to do the pelvic floor strengthening exercises anyway, they are good & work, so I don't really need to go & not that interested in fiddling around with props either, but each to their own:)
~Mosaic

Now I have a mental picture of sparkly tasseled balls shooting out of body parts. Brain bleach needed!

Shanazel

One could attach them to costumes on loooong beaded tassels so if the sparkly balls came shooting out they would just look like part of the costume.