How come I have not heard of this book before?

Shanazel

Add it to my ever-increasing WANT list on Amazon.

Hi. My name is Shanazel and I am a book junkie. It has been at least a couple of days since I bought a book...

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Me too:) I do find books irresistible. Must take a look at this one:) ... Ok added to wish list!
~Mosaic

Safran

I know... I was thinking of getting myself several knitting books for Christmas, but this might completely change my plan :( I NEED that book!

Sirène

$22 for the US Kindle version. :cool: I'll wait for a review of this one since I'm still working my way through Aunt Rocky's tome.

Dunyah

Barbara Sellers-Young is a well-known scholar who had a belly dance career before entering academe. She was a fantastic dancer. I haven't yet read this book, but based on her previous work, I'm sure it is scholarly, accurate and well-researched. I was fortunate to study dance with her briefly many years ago, around the time she left to pursue her PhD.

Roshanna

Ahh, it's been on my Amazon wishlist for ages, waiting for me to have the money for hefty academic books...

Jane

I got mine yesterday. At 217 pages I wouldn't call it hefty. The tone, I've read only two chapters so far, is not horribly academically dry; somewhere between conversational and academic. I posted a little bit of info on the "Use of Nostalgia in Tribal Fusion Dance" in the Crazy thread. I'm going to have to re-read it to figure out what the author was trying to say. I was tired when I read it and need a round two.

Sirène

I got mine yesterday. At 217 pages I wouldn't call it hefty. The tone, I've read only two chapters so far, is not horribly academically dry; somewhere between conversational and academic. I posted a little bit of info on the "Use of Nostalgia in Tribal Fusion Dance" in the Crazy thread. I'm going to have to re-read it to figure out what the author was trying to say. I was tired when I read it and need a round two.

Thank you, I think you just saved me $22 dollars.

Zumarrad

The book came out of a panel Barbara Sellers-Young put together for the IBCC in Toronto in 2010, which included me, the book's co-editor Caitlin McDonald and Lynette Harper. We decided to do the book then, but were it not for the hard work and great contacts of Barbara and Caitlin we'd still be talking, I think. I'm really proud of what we achieved. It may not be accessible to every reader but it's a valuable addition to the growing academic literature around our field. (I'm not talking about MY chapter of course though I do think it has some pretty good stuff in it, myself. It's my MA thesis in mega condensed form, pretty much.)

It was only published this year.

Last edited: