Post Thanks / Like

Default Paranoia strikes!

We had a substitute teach our class, and fairly early in the class she asked how long I had been dancing - just me - no one else. I answered "A couple of years." She corrected my hand position, and we moved on.

But now I am wondering...why did she ask? Was I dancing so badly that perhaps she thought I shouldn't be in the class? Aaaargh!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi da Sage, Don't take it personally, the teacher may just wanted to know you better, besides no matter how long we've been dancing we all need some type of correction from time to time otherwise why take class?
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi da Sage, Don't take it personally, the teacher may just wanted to know you better, besides no matter how long we've been dancing we all need some type of correction from time to time otherwise why take class?
    Yasmine
    Oh, I expected to be corrected - in fact that's one reason I particularly wanted to attend the class with the substitute. I like to learn from new teachers with fresh eyes and different styles, without having to go to (or pay for) a different class.

I just thought it was weird that she only asked me, and it made me feel a little bit uncomfortable. Then I wanted to ask how long she had been dancing, but I thought that would be rude.

Post Thanks / Like

... Or maybe she thought you'd been dancing longer, and given that all she did was correct a hand position, maybe it was a veiled compliment? Did she correct the other dancers, too (despite not asking their history)?

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, maybe Qwinity is right... Maybe she just noticed that you're doing well in general and only that hand position was missing Besides, if you say yourself that you try to attend classes with as different teachers as possible - do you really think they would have let you go through those years as something completely horrible? You shouldn't worry a bit...

Post Thanks / Like

I concurr! When I ask new students how long they've been dancing, it is because it is obvious to me that they have HAD some training! I never need to ask a beginner how long they've been dancing because it's obvious to me that they have just started their studies!
    Focus on your skills and you'll worry less about those meandering thoughts!

Gia

Post Thanks / Like

When I went to my first ballet class last year, the teacher singled me out to ask if I'd done ballet before. It turned out that I was the only person in the class who had never studied ballet! I guess I would have been offended if she hadn't been right, but she was.

I suspect that other people are right and that she thought that you seemed to have what you were doing under control. While I don't 100% agree with this, it seems to me that a majority of teachers see hands as the last thing to work on, after everything else is already in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Something similar to what de Sage experienced happened to me once. I took a class in another school and the teacher noticed that I was a little bit more advanced than the rest of the class and she thought it has to do with the time I've been dancing. It turned out that my actual instructor has been teaching me good.