Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    The teacher there said we were dancing "Modern Egyptian". I liked her classes a lot as she incorporated a lot of yoga and pilates into our warmups and cooldowns. I moved to another state and eventually found a teacher there. She said I had learned "Egyptian" and not "Modern Egyptian" and that we would start with "Egyptian" since I already had experience there. Eventually we moved on to "Raqs Sharqi" and then "Turkish". The college I was/am going to has a belly dance club, with 2 levels of classes and the instructor there says we were learning "Egyptian Cabaret" in the Level 1 and "Fusion" in the Level 2. Teacher#1 said "Egyptian Cabaret" doesn't exist and that it was actually "American Cabaret" and that the "Fusion" was not anything since the dance steps were not including steps from another dance and the music was not Arabic. Teacher #1 has stopped teaching classes about 5 months ago and my only option for classes has been the college group. I did find another local instructor but since the college group has only a year left before the leaders graduate, I was going to stick with them and then try to take classes with the other local instructor afterwards.
    Okay if you are looking for social contact - this seems fine. If you want to learn to belly dance it won't happen - in any style. Reading between the lines I think you have suffered a series of 6-week wonders.

FYI "Raqs Sharqi" is an umbrella term for ALL professional "belly dance" - it includes Egyptian, Classical Egyptian, Modern Egyptian, - and most Lebanese and Turkish styles. I think you could even slot AmCab into there!

She said I had learned "Egyptian" and not "Modern Egyptian" and that we would start with "Egyptian" since I already had experience there. Eventually we moved on to "Raqs Sharqi" and then "Turkish".
    Over how many years was this? Because you certainly won't learn much in a term!!

If you enjoy yoga or Pilates I suggest you sign up for a separate class - unless your belly dance classes are at least two hours long.

I also agree if you are serious about learning something save up and attend a decent length workshop with an experienced and recognized teacher (minimum 8 hours with a single teacher). That should give you many months of work to go on with. Then add in the occasional private class.

And 45 minutes? I had to fly to Australia for most of my training in the styles I chose!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    And 45 minutes? I had to fly to Australia for most of my training in the styles I chose!
    Well that beats my 4 hours on the bus!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bit of sympathy of the lack of transportation and/or long wait times, I chose my first instructor mostly because of her location of 2 minutes walking distance, but when she stopped teaching, and the nearest classes were at least 30-45 minutes by car. I did not have a car so by bus it was more like 2 hours one way. I simply did not have the time in my schedule to do that being a full time college student plus working 20 hours a week. So, I watched a lot of videos. Basically, it was about prioritizing my life. As much as I loved to dance, at that time it was more important to get college done and over with. We did (do) have a club on campus, but I didn't know much about them. They did not seem to advertise as much as they do now (which I think is fabulous).

To the OP: right now, you might really want to prioritize. Is the dance worth the 45 minute travel? Or is buying a dvd with a favorite dancer more economical/practical? There are loads of threads on this forum dedicated to determining styles/videos/dancers/history/culture etc that I think can hold you over until you have the funds/time to start going to weekly classes. Also, I know there are many dancers who have posted videos of themselves asking for critique. Or maybe Skyping some private lessons might be useful as well.

Post Thanks / Like

There are definitely ways around the tyrrany of distance when it comes to dance classes. I like to think I'm one of them.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Darshiva, oh definitely!! You and Kashmir definitely, and I think anyone down under or out in the American Midwest have added difficulties. For me, 45 minutes is a bit long, but I would still do it... but I'm in a different position than I was 5-6 years ago.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually trying to subtly hint that I teach skype classes.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't remember if it was you or not, so I didn't want to mention names (in case you didn't)!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12