The Oum Kalthoum Project

Safran

In autumn 2013 I celebrated ten years of oriental dance in my life. This dance has given so much to me, so it only seemed logical to continue… and not only to continue dancing, but also exploring everything around and behind the dance…

So, I’ve decided that year 2014 will be dedicated to Oum Kalthoum. Each fortnight I will concentrate on one Oum Kalthoum song, trying to bring together as much info as possible: links to original recordings, lyric translations, background info (and maybe even gossip ;) ), and of course, with videos of dancers’ interpretations of the songs. Within the year I'll go through 26 songs, in a completely random order, and you are all welcome to join.

More info from my website, and the first song will be posted January 7th, 2014!!!

Join me on the journey!!!

PracticalDancer

This will be a wonderful and rewarding challenge! A friend and dance mentor dedicated one year to only dancing to Oum Kalthoum (noted exception was gigs, which required pop numbers). She grew tremendously as a dancer and choreographer. That said, she went after it only from a performance perspective. I am excited that it appears your journey will also dig deeper into the songs.

Will you post here when you add to your site?

Safran

I also heard about an idea of picking one OK song each week to listen to - everything from the original concert recordings, to modern arrangements etc. I think that would also be an awesome idea, especially to increase the general understanding of music. But I have always been a bit of a nerd, I like connections and obscure facts!

The randomising program has already picked the first song, and I am doing research as we speak... I'll post the link here on the 7th January when it will be published!

Sophia Maria

The randomising program has already picked the first song, and I am doing research as we speak... I'll post the link here on the 7th January when it will be published!

Please do!! I am definitely joining you in your journey :) I love all the obscure facts, and I have committed myself to learning the language as well, so this project would be much appreciated.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Sounds good, I am quite busy at the moment but will be checking out the program for sure:)
~Mosaic

Safran

To make the project more interesting, I have decided to publish a hint about each song a few days before posting it. So...

GUESS THE SONG: the lyrics of this Oum Kalthoum song give an idea on how to heal a liver without the help of doctors. Do you know which song it is?

Safran

Time for the answer and the first post!!!

The Oum Kalthoum song that gives us an insight how to heal our liver much to the surprise of doctors is...

Ghannili Shwaya Shwaya

To learn what the cure is, and much more, check out the blog! ;)

Safran

GUESS THE SONG: In my head this Oum Kalthoum song, composed by Mohamed Abdel Wahab, always associates with Sohair Zaki. Do you know which song it is? I'll tell you on Tuesday!

Safran

Time for the answer and song post :)

For me, I can never listen to Leilet Hob without the image of Sohair Zaki dancing to it. And looking at the feedback - a lot of the dancers have the same association in their brain! :lol:

Leilet Hob | Safran

Safran

As I have been travelling, I am a bit late and we missed the guessing this time. But I must say, this song is like a very mysterious celebrity - well-known, but there is very little info available. Arouh Lemeen, a sad sad love song.

Arouh Lemeen | Safran

Safran

Sirt El Hob, a song that unlike most of Oum Kalthoum songs, is not about the tragedy of of love. It is rumoured that the lyricist of the song was in love with Oum Kalthoum, but it was unrequited love...
Sirt el hob | Safran

Safran

Guess the song: another sad song composed by Riad al-Sonbati. It speaks of past love, disappointment and betrayed trust. And to me this song always associates with George Wassouf...

Safran

The Oum Kalthoum Project is back! As during the past half a year I have had major changes happening in my life, I had to put the project on hiatus for a while. But I still have a list of songs that I want to explore, so I am ready to continue where we left off... I don't know what song you had in mind Sophia Maria, but I am pretty sure you knew the answer... it was Lissa Faker.

http://orientalsafran.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/lissa-faker/

Safran

Inta Omri - the first song on which Mohamed Abdel Wahab and Oum Kalthoum worked together, and which became an instant success... (and which is still amazingly popular song still today)... But it did not come easy...

Inta Omri | Safran

And if the text is too long for you to read, then at least look at that very special interpretation of the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufvUy3xvvYU

Safran

Ala Baladi Mahboub - a song about longing for love and for Egypt.
http://safrandance.com/ala-baladi-mahboub/