Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Kashmir, thank you so much for the quick responce! I will follow your suggestion and start dancing combining 2-3 moves at a time!
    And you are right, my difiiculties on "B moves" are mostly isolations, balance, and "how to put my feet"-issues. I try to solve this by drilling every day, seeking for instructions, and exercising. That's also why I do crunches and fitness exercises: I thouhgt that if I had more strength an flexibility I would do better isolations. But to be honest I already doubd on how effective they are in BD. What kind of cross-training exercises would you suggest?
    Chest moves - I just love them! It is too soon to select a dancing style, for sure I adore Egyptian but at this moment I try to stick on basics and work with my upper body as much as I work with my hips and legs.

I have to apologise about my terminology: By "hip drops" I mean this
    "hip drops and lifts" is this
    and hip kicks is this
    Please feel free to correct me! I get so confused sometimes, every "online teacher" uses different terms and I don't know what is right and what is wrong

Transitions and weight transfer- I try to layer my moves with arms, to exchange hip moves with chest moves while listening to music, and I try some combos from this website I also do some travelling steps like step-pivor turn-step-arabesque pose or travelling side to side while lifting the opposite hip, or doing undulations or shimmies..
    But I feel like a robot, I cannot connect the next move smoothly, it is not how feel when "social dancing". Is this a sign that I should do more dancing than practicing?
    Last edited by Anetta; 04-07-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what is right and what is wrong
    I'm right and everyone else is wrong.

Such good advice from everyone. My two cents worth:

Like the lady said, just turn off the lights and dance. Dancing IS practicing. You've collected a vocabulary of movement; perhaps right now your brain needs to turn off for a few minutes and let your body respond to the music without worrying about the commas and periods that make up transitions.

In the long run, improvisation for a solo dancer is a real saving grace. Sooner or later, the music to which you have so carefully choreographed your movements is a) going to get left at home; b) get lost somewhere behind stage; c) get stolen; or d) eaten by your dog.

Actually, the dog was innocent; my toddler daughter used my favorite tape for teething.

Anyway, if you can improvise, all you have to do is pick another reasonably familiar song and swirl your lovely self onto the stage.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Anyway, if you can improvise, all you have to do is pick another reasonably familiar song and swirl your lovely self onto the stage.
    And if you're spending a lot of time with it, you can improv to your audience clapping out a beat for you. Improv is a dancer's best friend. My advice is definitely dance dance dance for yourself. The moves are nothing if you don't do anything with them!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your advices! I already started "dancing" to a song every day after my daily workout, combining 2-3 moves each time. Not only is it fun and keeps me motivated, but also helps me feel these moves more natural, to feel them as "my moves", if this can make sense. On the other hand it is a good tool to find out where do I need more work, or realize the importance of other parameters such as balance, face expression, feeling the rythm, grace. There are moves I can do very well when practicing them separately in a simple rythm, but combining them and dancing with music... is a totally different story!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12