You Know You're A Bellydancer When... Thread 2

walladah

By the way, you know you are a bellydancer...

... you know you are a bellydancer when a radio collective asks you to hold a brand new original radio broadcast with mediterranean music, "like the one you post" on your facebook academic research account!

Notes
1) I hold rehearsal broadcasts the two last weeks and i will let you know about the official launch, after Feb 15th, because we broadcast through internet. My radioshow will be on fridays 9-11 in the evening, greek time (7-9 greenwich time).
2) i could not resist as an economics researcher but post arabic and turkish music too in my academic account. i could have never imagined that this would have such an impact to people who do not listen to this music (they listen to and broadcast western or western style music).

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I want to go back to Greece - BADLY. Haven't been back since 2002...

As for "You know you're a Belly Dancer when..."

Driving to BD class. Phone rings. I bluetooth answer it. Its my Dance sister and instructor: "Can you get off at Capitola to pick up Nonah (Another Dance sister)?". I reply "I'm at 41st right now (1st Capitola exit), do you want me to get off here?" - "Yes".

So I get off, but need to know which way to turn: "Ok, left or right?". Hesitation on the line as my Instructor tries to assemble a mind picture of where I am - I then ask "I'm out of time, I need a decision; towards Janelle (Yet another dance sister and instructor, referencing her studio) or away?". My instructor understands THAT immediately! "Towards Janelle!".

True story, happened just last week!

Daimona

... when you're the only one backstage focusing on hair, make-up, accessories and enough glitter spray in a mixed style dance show and the only thing you really miss is a poster with the lineup backstage because you actually need how much time you've got before and between your time on stage to fix your costume and make-up.

Yep, this happened tonight to me and my group. But then again, no doubt we had the best stage-make-up and the best show, if I'm allowed to say so.

Last edited:

Daimona

You mean they didn't post the lineup backstage? :think:

Nope, i.e. no such thing in a useful place. They had one posted on the door by the stage entrance after the rehearsal (last year there were none - at all) and to see it you needed to find your way through the tiny and crowded pantry kitchen and it weren't there when the rehearsal started (how could they expect us to wait in line when we even didn't know the lineup?). Even the technicians didn't have the lineup, causing wrong songs and no changes in the light. It would be very useful to have one by the dressing rooms too as they were quite far from the said pantry kitchen. Beside the distance, hardly hearing the music from the stage in the dressing room made it quite challenging (we had to run through a couple of long corridors, down a couple of stairs and crossing the hall to get there). Despite asking the arranger several times in advance, we actually didn't even know when we were going to perform the second dance until most of the rehearsal was done and the assistant sheperd started gathering all the performers in the pantry for the finale (no, we can't come yet - we still haven't done our second dance where we will enter from behind the audience).

You know you're a belly dancer...
...when you've got the shiniest costume in the mixed-style dance show despite only wearing your stage galabeya.

Safran

You know you've been performing too much saidi when the muscles on your right arm are becoming way more defined than on your left... (guess who just added 5 minutes of assaya spinning on the left to her daily routine ;)?)

Darshiva

...you're watching the promotional video for a dvd and you realise you know everyone on it, it's not a local dvd and you don't just recognise them, you know them personally!

Suzanne Azhaar

You know you're a belly dancer when...

Needing a break from practice, popped onto facebook just for a moment, and put dibs on a costume. Happened so fast. Mundane me would have pondered 'need versus want'. Dancer me said, "Mine. Done deal."

Suzanne Azhaar

You know you're a dancer when~ within the first thirty seconds of a belly gram the birthday boy grabbed me and started doing a western two step. So I put a shimmy on it, then hip bumps so his family could still see belly dance.

Darshiva

... you measure time in terms of when you purchased things. For example - I wrote my favourite drum solo choreo 5 studio mirrors ago.

Amulya

When even though you're (hopefully temporarily) retired you (belly) dance so much at a Bruce Springsteen concert that you partially dislocate your hip (true story, still dealing with it now)

When you buy 'normal' clothes and think 'it's also useful for dancing'.

When you have half finished projects everywhere.

When you make jewelry that's not for dancing you still make it look 'bellydance-y'

Safran

...when you get into hilarious miscommunications with people... I told our bar manager I need to go to Dubai to buy lashes. He was very confused and amused at the same time. The thing is, he was thinking of whip lashes, a form of punishment used here, while all I had in my mind were the sparklies :lol:

Dunyah

When you NEED to look at beautiful belly dance costumes on line every day even though you're not planning to buy one. You just need a costume "fix." So many beautiful costumes, so little time (and money!)

Shanazel

When you celebrate your fifty-ninth birthday by teaching classes thirty years after your first retirement from BD.

Farasha Hanem

When YOU always seem to be the one to find sparklies on the floor that have dropped off other ladies' blingy street clothes, and you go, "oooooooooooooooooo, shinyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..."

walladah

You know you are a bellydancer...

...when your bellydancer self shouts out your moderate reaction to people who want to take advantage of you in your day job and reminds you that "you would not accept this as a dancer, would you? Now, do what you have to do for the dancer that you are!".

and i did, because i am a bellydancer.

Then i realised that you are a bellydancer when the bellydancer in you is the most demanding, strong and wise person in you.