Everyday style (s)

LadyLoba

What is everyone's non-bellydance (every day wear) style? And do you incorporate elements of that in your belly dance costumes? Or do you go for a completely different look?

My clothing styles are

1. what a lot of Pinterest pages and fashion blogs call "geek chic." (This I know because I was freezing last winter, and since I'm NOT a fashion person, went online to see if I could get any warm outfit ideas, and found a bunch of outfits I could make out of what I already had plus some sweaters and flannel shirts on boards with that label) It suits my looks and personality, so I went with it. (This is also called the "hot librarian" or "hot professor" look when done in a more revealing way.)

2. western.

For costumes, I find the fabrics don't really translate well from the "geek chic" look to belly dance. But I am planning some western inspired costumes. If anyone has any ideas on that, let me know.

**sorry if anyone finds any of the terms offensive. It's what the fashion blogs and Pinterest boards called the types of outfits I decided to get. That's why I put them in quotes...though I proudly call myself "geeky." (Writing, literature, and language geek to be precise)

Last edited:

Darshiva

Darshiva and my real self are two very different people. (you might notice from the way I use the third person when talking about her!)

Darshiva is all about the bling. The bigger, brighter and gaudier the better. She also likes diamond-like things. I am all about classical elegance and natural gemstones. I hate diamonds and threatened to cancel the engagement if my husband tried to give me one.

Darshiva likes clingy fabrics, lycras and satins. I like lace, and silk. We both enjoy a good velvet.

Darshiva likes heels and arabic pop. I like big boots and 80s goth punk.

Darshiva even has her own pair of glasses. I'd never wear them - they don't suit me & are uncomfortable to wear. But when I'm Darshiva they look gorgeous and I don't notice I'm wearing them.

Shanazel

If I can't wear my jeans I ain't going. :cool:

That being said, Shanazel NEVER wears her jeans with her bling. Sometimes her bling with her jeans but that's different.

Jane

Most days I wear stuff from Gap, American Eagle, Eddie Bauer, Loft. Jeans and sweaters in winter. When I dress nicer I wear dresses and Ann Taylor stuff. Clean lines, good fabrics, well fitting, mostly earth tones, and nothing to draw undue attention. Pretty mainstream and boring really. ;)