Dropping to the floor while in a backbend?

BigJim

This has been a very interesting topic to follow...

On one side we have an enthusiastic young dancer who has discovered something amazing (bellydance) and is relentless in her quest to learn a difficult and potentially dangerous move (Turkish drop)...

On the other side we have a pack of experienced dancers who know the inherent long term danger... who are trying to warn the youngster that maybe the cost in the long run is not worth it....

The last comment I find very amusing but also very sad... we have a 14 year old assuring everyone that she has it all under control and not to worry.... (at 14 you don't even know which way is up... )... I laugh because this reminds me of me... I played the blood sports ( like football) for a long time and to a high level... the older players would say "you'll regret this later in life"... but I did it anyway... and truthfully.. I wouldn't do it any other way if I had to do it over...

And I'm sad because now I'm older and I'm now understanding what they were trying to tell me....

The best advice I can give is to "Dance Safe... and Have Fun"..... Jim

Shanazel

Honey, no one can consistently do an inherently dangerous move safely. Sooner or later it'll get you.

Thus speaks Shanazel who has fallen off a cliff despite her ability to rock climb safely, dropped her bike several times despite two motorcycle safety classes, and wrecked both knees and a hip despite having been invincible at fourteen.

Aniseteph

You can lead people to the fountain of knowledge and experience, but you can't make them drink.

On second thoughts I'm not sure you can even lead some of them. Some (no reflection on the OP, just generalising here) wouldn't recognise it if they stubbed their toe and fell in.

Shanazel

Dang. I wondered about that unexpected pond I tripped into recently. Perhaps I should've paddled about a bit longer?

shiradotnet

No worries! I've sorted it out with my teacher; I can do the drop safely now.

Y'know, that's the reaction I expected, because it's the same reaction I would have given back when I was doing the drops regularly. :lol:

I know that nothing I say will stop you from proceeding with them, because nothing anybody said would have stopped me. So the only thing I'll add is this: Each and every time you do one, do it with caution. Never, NEVER let yourself get over-confident and think you have them nailed, because once you let your guard down, that's when you're at risk of having it go wrong.

Dance safely, and may it give you much joy! I hope to continue chatting with you here!