Belly dance bingo

Aniseteph

The dancer who always seems to perform to the same song, and nobody is entirely sure if it's deliberate

Yup, that's a puzzler. Especially at a regular hafla where most of us saw it last time. It's not by special request of the audience, it's not revisiting an old standard a few years on; maybe it's helping out an organiser desperate for performers at the latest minute? I do sit there wondering.

Roshanna

I had to go listen to Desert Rose on YouTube since I was mercifully unaware of its existence. Alas, no more. I'll forgive him a lot for Fields of Gold but Desert Rose is not destined to be a favorite.

My addition to the "songs I don't want to hear at a hafla" category would be VooDoo by Godsmack.

Oh my. I thought I didn't know 'voodoo', but then I went to listen to it and actually I do know it but last heard it when I was about 15, when my American best friend had a Godsmack CD. Serious nostalgia happening now.

I definitely wouldn't want to hear it at a hafla though, and even more definitely wouuldn't want to hear it at a hafla more than once...!

I hate Desert Rose *so much*. That horrible yodelling. Every single gross orientalist cliche ("Each of her veils, a secret promise" :wall:). The inescapable memory of having sat through far too many interminable taking-selves-very-seriously troupe dances at haflas over the years...

Roshanna

- MC who heinously mispronounces every. single. arabic. word. (extra points if they can even mispronounce 'habibi'!)
- Group whose description in the programme/announcement seems so bafflingly unrelated to what you actually see on the stage that you start to wonder if there has been an unannounced last-minute substitution

Daimona

I'm thankfully that nobody has used Desert Rose or Voodoo my local haflas.

For the performance bingo:
- dancers who are so hung up in their own choreography that they forget to dance it and it all becomes routines where the only feeling projected by the dancer is "will I remember what comes next?"
- whole choreographies/routines which mainly consists of 4 of this move in this direction, similar 4 in the other direction (or however the music repeats itself) and extra points if the whole sequence is repeated.

Shanazel

I didn't manage to listen to Desert Rose far enough to hear the line about veils making promises. Life is good.

Daimona

Did we already have boobs/hip on an invisible string or basketball hip movement?

Nope, but it is a good one.

Another one is the dancer where every little thing is choreographed, including a wink with the whole face when something is supposed to be funny (what happened to subtleness?) and big grin which is wiped off as soon the dancer has left the stage.

But to have a few positive entries as well:

• The dancers you enjoy so much you forget you were playing BD bingo.
  • The dancers who surprise you with how far they have come and how much better they are now than last time you watched. Multiple extra points for this one.

Selene

so true!!!

I am trying to picture the basketball hip movement xD could someone explain that one to me?

Daimona

Bonus points if you can tell who the main teacher of a dancer is only based on personal dance style, despite that she/he is dancing someone else's choreography (i.e. not the choreography of that teacher).

Shanazel

Basketball hip movement: doing a hip drop while pretending to drive the movement with a bouncing motion of one's hand.