Invited to Fundraiser -- Help!!

AyaKara

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope all of your holidays went well this season :dance:

My university is having a fundraiser for an injured student. Myself and two other alumni were invited to perform individually for 2-3 minutes each. I would love to do it, but I haven't been in class since May -- only DVDs and self-practice. I've been dancing for 16 months, so making a choreo might be difficult, and my technique might not be as smooth as it could be. I'm also incredibly nervous to be dancing by myself for the first time (my two performances so far have been group)!

Basically, I'm feeling a whirlwind of emotions after being asked just now. I have until January 17th to accept. It's on February 21st, so I have a little over a month of practice (and no school or work right now, so plenty of time to do so).

If I accept, what are my options? Do I make a basic choreo and take hints from choreos online to make it better? Do I just do a basic DVD or Youtube choreo and mention it was taken from that? I'm so excited but nervous and just want to do my best with the advice of my fellow dancers :pray:

Thanks, everyone!

Kashmir

In your position I would find a simple choreography and credit the choreographer. That is, a video which is teaching a choreography - not watching another dancer and copying it.

Go for something well within your range so you have room to add your personality and stage presence. Better a very simple dance with lots of audience contact that a nervous dancer trying something beyond her capability.

Good luck.

Darshiva

In light of what Kashmir said, I can make a recommendation. If you have (or can afford to obtain) Bellydance Basics by Michelle Joyce, you will find her choreography on there to be a nice simple choreo that will be easy to learn, and one that is easy to add a prop to if you choose to.

It doesn't seem like Michelle is selling it on the website anymore, but you'll probably find it on ebay or amazon for around $30.

AyaKara

Thank you for your recommendations, Kashmir and Darshiva! I have Michelle Joyce's Drills Drills Drills! DVD. I have quite a few beginner to advanced beginner DVDs, so I'll scroll through those before I consider purchasing Bellydance Basics for now. :)

gisela

Super Moderator
Or can you adapt the choreos you learnt in class to a solo performance?
(and credit the teacher of course)

Darshiva

The one on drills drills drills is pretty simple, but you could probably jazz up the intro a bit (or replace the first 20 seconds with a dramatic walk-on intro) to make it a little bit more audience-friendly.

It's a great choreo for drilling the content of her dvd though.

AyaKara

Thank you, everyone! My next question is one related to costuming. I'm not really comfortable wearing a bellydance bra top (and, it might be better for the crowd since it's a Catholic university). What can I wear that will cover me up while still maintaining an Egyptian feel? :think:

Darshiva

Here are some ideas in the modest & budget range. Check out the dresses section in particular.

L. Rose Designs - Online Catalog

This store is more pricy, but they have a sale on at the moment. If you pm me and ask nicely, I'll even open up my work email over the weekend for you and get the sale code (I never do that unless I'm teaching or performing and this is the primary contact).

https://www.bellydancestore.biz/gallery.php?catId=35

Your other option is to buy a nice dress or evening gown with room to dance and add a hipscarf for a more casual & traditional look. This is kind of covered by the lrose link above, but if time is an issue it's one to consider.

Kashmir

Egyptian in a dress isn't just for folk or beledi. If you have an orientale flavour to your dance though, I'd make sure there is enough bling. Many years ago I bought a prom dress off the shelf and wore that with a hip scarf.

One thing to watch though, especially if you are adapting non-dance wear, is that there is enough movement in the dress and, conversely, it is fitted enough so the movements can still be seen.

Marissa-Julia

I really like the dress look! And I agree with Kashmir! Definitely not just for folk or beledi :D

EDITED: Also, let me know the info! Maybe I can make it to the fundraiser. I'll be routing for ya! <3

AyaKara

Thank you for the tips, everyone! I decided to get this black halter top (somewhat similar to the velvet one I wore previously) with a black skirt. I plan on buying a belt soon too. Thank you guys, I can't wait! :D

Darshiva, all of you here are so wonderful to newer dancers! I'll have to decline, but endless appreciation and thanks! :pray:

Kashmir, I've seen a lot of dancers and have always wondered about where they got their dresses from. I had no idea it was as simple as taking any dress that would suit the occasion. I'll keep that as a tip for the future :lol:

Marissa, I sent you the information! :dance:

Sorry for taking so long to respond, my PC charger stopped working and I couldn't get a new one until today. :redface:

AyaKara

Thank you for the tips, everyone! I decided to get this black halter top (somewhat similar to the velvet one I wore previously) with a black skirt. I plan on buying a belt soon too. Thank you guys, I can't wait! :D

Darshiva, all of you here are so wonderful to newer dancers! I'll have to decline, but endless appreciation and thanks! :pray:

Kashmir, I've seen a lot of dancers and have always wondered about where they got their dresses from. I had no idea it was as simple as taking any dress that would suit the occasion. I'll keep that as a tip for the future :lol:

Marissa, I sent you the information! :dance:

Sorry for taking so long to respond, my PC charger stopped working and I couldn't get a new one until today. :redface: