Sewing coins

Suzanne Azhaar

Pondering over the next costume. Have Saroyan coins to sew onto a bra and belt set. Wondering what the best way to do it would be. How did the dancers in the 1970's do it? Jump rings? What type are strong enough? Thank you for advice.

Amulya

Good topic! I have sewn coins that had rings but they often fall off because the thread kind of moves it's way through the part where the rings' ends are connected. When I sew coins I use very thick cotton thread from Gütermann, it doesn't wear out like normal thin sewing thread. So if you use coins with rings make sure to sew the rings multiple times on, less chance of them falling off.
If you don't use rings you can sew them on in a way that they aren't too tight to the fabric, so they can still move. Depending on how much movement you want. If you want lots of movement you can do short strands of beads and the coins at the end.

Suzanne Azhaar

Sifting through old photos, it looked like some of them were sew directly to the fabric. In quantities it resembles armor or fish scales. Unsure what I think of that.

Thank-you for mentioning coin loss if the jump ring separated; Saroyan's would be a challenge to replace. Perhaps a round faceted bead on both sides of the coin with heavy thread? That way the coin won't abrade the fabric except at the very tip (maybe).

Daimona

I'm not a coin expert, but I did some experimenting with coins on costumes and clothing when I was a baby belly dancer.

The coins I've seen have either been sewn directly to the fabric (resulting in some kind of scale-like or armor like texture when overlapping) or separated from the fabric with one or two seed beads. Beads gives a little more movement in the coins. Jump rings aren't good unless you're attaching your coins to a chain and then sewing the chain to the fabric.

Considering wear and tear, the most important thing is to use a very strong thread as Amulya said above.
If you want coins that move, the metal will be very abrasive on the thread where it goes through the hole.

If the fabric itself is delicate, you would like to line it when sewing on the coins making the thread go through both fabrics. Also be aware of uneven coin edges that could snag to the fabric.

And remember to check your costume once in a while in case some of the thread through the coins need to be replaced or enforced (whatever method you choose - sewing on directly, using beads or rings or other things). If you ever sit on your coined costumes, remember that some of the coins may be folded or broken and that this causes extra tension to the thread you've used.