Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a Beginner Bellydance Sword

I am looking for a good bellydance sword to learn balancing with. I am not interested in "battle ready" or the "real" sharp looking ones. (I am too chicken.)

I like the look of the more ornate ones. I like the old Saroyan ones, but he doesn't sell those anymore.

I found this one on bellydance props:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragonswordINSETS.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	10001
    Bellydance Props-isis wings, canes, dvds, veils, fans and more!The Dragon Scimitar, Swords/Scimitars

...and this one at Bellydance.com:

Name:	4135A.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	10002

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	10003

Does anyone have any experience with either one? Maybe a suggestion of somewhere else to find one?

Thankyou!
    Last edited by IsisBellydance1; 01-18-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a dance mate from my old class that has the dragon scimitar. The pummel is bad about either coming loose or falling off, and is not quite as well-balanced as other bellydance swords. I'd steer clear of that one. Here's a review of that sword:

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

This sword is one of two I own, and makes an excellent beginner's sword:

Remember, looks are nice, but they're not everything, especially if the sword is poorly crafted. You want to look for solid craftsmanship and good balance, as well as a safe blade. Also, consider where you'll be using the sword (like in a classroom setting). You don't want a sword too big to use in a group situation, or at home around your breakables!
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 01-22-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just beginning to use sword and, in fact, will be taking a sword choreography class session. My instructor recommended that we get Kult of Athena's Baladay Scimitar. It's not as ornate as the ones you were looking at, but it looks awesome. It's heavy, but it balances well. You just have to watch your arms because of the curvature. She did a sword choreo using this scimitar: (to music she normally doesn't use) Sahina Sword.

Post Thanks / Like

That's almost like the second sword I and two other forum members own, the Cas Hanwei (I think it's a descendant of the Cas Iberia? ). I didn't recommend it because the Cas Hanwei IS a sharp, battle-ready sword:

Post Thanks / Like

It looks similar, but it's not the same sword. The baladay scimitar is unsharpened, so not battle-ready. Kult of Athena says whether or not a sword is battle ready, and this is not.

As for beginner sword friendly, well, I'm beginning my adventures in sword. I've only had a minor injury and that's because I tried to catch when it fell. I have since learned not to. This photo is my failed attempt at an awesome photo. No injuries were sustained. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8G8A0117.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	10006

Post Thanks / Like

...duplicate post....still having troubles with the "database error"

Post Thanks / Like

you will want one that is heavier as they are easier to learn with than lighter ones. I know it sounds contradictory to some but it actually does work that way. If you can get to a store in person to try some out that would be much better than buying online. However if you live in a location like I do, just make sure they have a good return policy if it arrives and does not work for you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    This sword is one of two I own, and makes an excellent beginner's sword:

Remember, looks are nice, but they're not everything, especially if the sword is poorly crafted. You want to look for solid craftsmanship and good balance, as well as a safe blade. Also, consider where you'll be using the sword (like in a classroom setting). You don't want a sword too big to use in a group situation, or at home around your breakables!
    This is useful info...thankyou!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allinorah View Post
    I'm just beginning to use sword and, in fact, will be taking a sword choreography class session. My instructor recommended that we get Kult of Athena's Baladay Scimitar. It's not as ornate as the ones you were looking at, but it looks awesome. It's heavy, but it balances well. You just have to watch your arms because of the curvature. She did a sword choreo using this scimitar: (to music she normally doesn't use) Sahina Sword.
    Thankyou for sharing this. Nice video!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast