Looking for a Beginner Bellydance Sword

IsisBellydance1

I am looking for a good bellydance sword to learn balancing with. I am not interested in "battle ready" or the "real" sharp looking ones. (I am too chicken.)

I like the look of the more ornate ones. I like the old Saroyan ones, but he doesn't sell those anymore.

I found this one on bellydance props:

dragonswordINSETS.jpg
Bellydance Props-isis wings, canes, dvds, veils, fans and more!The Dragon Scimitar, Swords/Scimitars

...and this one at Bellydance.com:
4135A.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with either one? Maybe a suggestion of somewhere else to find one?

Thankyou!:)

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

I have a dance mate from my old class that has the dragon scimitar. The pummel is bad about either coming loose or falling off, and is not quite as well-balanced as other bellydance swords. I'd steer clear of that one. Here's a review of that sword:

Farasha Hanem

This sword is one of two I own, and makes an excellent beginner's sword:

Remember, looks are nice, but they're not everything, especially if the sword is poorly crafted. You want to look for solid craftsmanship and good balance, as well as a safe blade. :) Also, consider where you'll be using the sword (like in a classroom setting). You don't want a sword too big to use in a group situation, or at home around your breakables!

Last edited:

allinorah

I'm just beginning to use sword and, in fact, will be taking a sword choreography class session. My instructor recommended that we get Kult of Athena's Baladay Scimitar. It's not as ornate as the ones you were looking at, but it looks awesome. It's heavy, but it balances well. You just have to watch your arms because of the curvature. She did a sword choreo using this scimitar: (to music she normally doesn't use) Sahina Sword.

Farasha Hanem

That's almost like the second sword I and two other forum members own, the Cas Hanwei (I think it's a descendant of the Cas Iberia? :think: ). I didn't recommend it because the Cas Hanwei IS a sharp, battle-ready sword:

allinorah

It looks similar, but it's not the same sword. The baladay scimitar is unsharpened, so not battle-ready. Kult of Athena says whether or not a sword is battle ready, and this is not.

As for beginner sword friendly, well, I'm beginning my adventures in sword. I've only had a minor injury and that's because I tried to catch when it fell. I have since learned not to. This photo is my failed attempt at an awesome photo. No injuries were sustained. ;) 8G8A0117.jpg

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
you will want one that is heavier as they are easier to learn with than lighter ones. I know it sounds contradictory to some but it actually does work that way. If you can get to a store in person to try some out that would be much better than buying online. However if you live in a location like I do, just make sure they have a good return policy if it arrives and does not work for you.

IsisBellydance1

This sword is one of two I own, and makes an excellent beginner's sword:

Remember, looks are nice, but they're not everything, especially if the sword is poorly crafted. You want to look for solid craftsmanship and good balance, as well as a safe blade. :) Also, consider where you'll be using the sword (like in a classroom setting). You don't want a sword too big to use in a group situation, or at home around your breakables!

This is useful info...thankyou! ;)

IsisBellydance1

I'm just beginning to use sword and, in fact, will be taking a sword choreography class session. My instructor recommended that we get Kult of Athena's Baladay Scimitar. It's not as ornate as the ones you were looking at, but it looks awesome. It's heavy, but it balances well. You just have to watch your arms because of the curvature. She did a sword choreo using this scimitar: (to music she normally doesn't use) Sahina Sword.

Thankyou for sharing this. Nice video!:)

IsisBellydance1

It looks similar, but it's not the same sword. The baladay scimitar is unsharpened, so not battle-ready. Kult of Athena says whether or not a sword is battle ready, and this is not.

As for beginner sword friendly, well, I'm beginning my adventures in sword. I've only had a minor injury and that's because I tried to catch when it fell. I have since learned not to. This photo is my failed attempt at an awesome photo. No injuries were sustained. ;) View attachment 10006

:shok: --I am glad to hear you are OK! :)

I am nervous about that happening too. It's why I didn't want a real pointy sword to learn with.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate it!:lol:

I just missed your posts...

I waited 5-6 days (no one had responded at that point)...so I just went ahead & purchased both. ;)

And I wasn't disappointed. They are both nice swords. I am happy with them.

The Dragon one is a little different from the one posted in the video clip. It has a shinny silver grip/handle not a brass one. It has notches and is a good weight! (When I tried them out I was surpised how heavy they are!) Just as in the video, as she says you do have to tweak it a little- not much.

The reason seems to be is when you look at it from the edge looking down- you can see that the blade is not perfectly even all the way down. Maybe an offset mold or something? It is not visible from the front when you balance it. Anyway, it made it balance slightly off- but as soon as I "wiggled" it a little -like she said- it worked! ---and balanced sitting straight, as it should.

The Lion Head Sword resembled one I saw in a Princess Farahana sword video. It is good too. No notches- so I am a little nervous when I balance it- I think that's just me -though.:rolleyes: It is a longer sword.

It has a wider edge on the bottom of the blade (than the Dragon Sword), It balanced very easily and well right out of the box.

Both had a good weight to them. The Lion Head one might be a touch heavier than the Dragon one. The prices on both were very good. And shipping $ wasn't bad ($15-18 and it went priority).

Bellydance.com Lion Head 40' -$58.99

Bellydanceprops.com Dragon Sword in Silver or Gold (shinny)-$59.99

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

Yes, I know. There are similar swords that are safer than the Cas Hanwei or the Cas Iberia (the Turkish sword is one, also sold by the same company I bought my swords from). As I said, I do not recommend the Cas Hanwei for the beginner---one might sustain a more serious injury from it! @____@