What would you call this style, and why?

Kashmir

I'd go for Egyptian fusion. It has moments when it feels Egyptian then it does something out of genre - like the leg lifts (I know Aida and Randa use them but two people don't make it generic). Other things that point to fusion for me is the use of symmetry in the dance - do it on the left repeat on the right (not typical of straight Egyptian), her elaborate dancing arms, and the amount of upper body work. Also, I'm not quite sure an Egyptian would quite interpret the music that way - but then you are sliding into personality vs genre I think.

Aniseteph

I watched it last night but was too tired to post, and Kashmir has written my thoughts for me (yay I feel validated!).

Especially in the earlier parts there were chunks of something else - jazz? some sort of modern dance? anyhoo, the kicks and some of the travelling. And some of the upper-torso focused moves had a whiff of Tribal Fusion for me. As Kashmir said, it'd look Egyptian then go into something not. Later I felt it got a little less fusiony and more straight Egyptian, so overall for me it's on the borders between deliberate Egyptian fusion and a strong personal style on Egyptian.

DancingArabian

Thank you both :) I've found that I learn best when I start talking about specific performances instead of just in a general kind of way. I'll try to keep this thread going with more!

Amulya

That was interesting to watch, she has some beautiful movements but sometimes it doesn't seem to suit the music. I can see some Randa influences but definitely fusion things as well. A shame that from a distance that costume looks like it's only a skirt.

Safran

I know Katalin and have seen her dance live several times. I would call her modern oriental (fusion)- there is a lot of ballet, jazz and broadway mixed into her dancing. I find it amazing how Hungarian dancers have managed to create this whole new direction of their own - there is Katalin, there is Mercedes Nieto, and several other great dancers who have "grown out" from their classes.

Amulya

I like it when dancers have something unique of their own. Makes them stand out from the rest. Too many people who are trying to be a copy of someone else.

Sophia Maria

I also agree with Kashmir's interpretation. Katalin Schafer is generally Egyptian with very strong ballet and jazz references. For me, she has a "heavier" look, like some of the modern dancers like Dina, Randa, and Aziza of Cairo. "Heavy" as in...hmm, it's hard to describe. It's like, yes, they do go up on the balls of their feet and do balletic things, but the energy is very low and grounded, whereas I would describe the opposite type of dancing as being more "airy", with energy focused up. I'm not sure if that's clear, I can explain more...

For me she shares some characteristics with the Russian dancers, who I often find bring a very intense, ballet look into the dance. At the same time, I feel like most of her style is very much personality-based. She has a very distinct way of dancing. She is very hit or miss for me. I either adore her style or really don't like it. I actually really like the way she uses her neck, arms and hands, and all her upper body basically. But I felt uncomfortable with this one. It just didn't feel like she was in line with the music at all. She also occasionally brings burlesque into the mix, which is REALLY not to my taste, but to each her own.

This is one performance from her that I enjoy:

Amulya

She is a good dancer, but too much a Randa copy to my taste. Too many abrupt movements too (which is also very Randa like, which is fine when Randa does it, it's her unique style, but it irritates me to see others copy her style)

Sophia Maria

She is a good dancer, but too much a Randa copy to my taste. Too many abrupt movements too (which is also very Randa like, which is fine when Randa does it, it's her unique style, but it irritates me to see others copy her style)

I disagree. And I agree to some extent...she does have sudden abrupt movements, you're right. But I don't find her to be a Randa copy at all, I think that's unfair. There may be dancers out there who try to copy Randa, but while I don't always enjoy Katalin Schafer's interpretations, she is of a dancing caliber where she isn't a copy of anyone anymore. I think Randa is very stiff with her upper body, whereas Schafer is different because she does very gooey movements with her upper body. Also the sudden, abrupt movement style is not just Randa's, I have seen many people incorporate it into their pieces, including Dina and Tito. I use it to some extent as well, and I know I definitely don't look like Randa. I think it's more of a general style that has developed, not just attributable to one dancer.

Amulya

She's definitely a very good dancer, I agree the music interpretation is a bit unexpected, but everybody does it differently. It's funny how one intrepretation can feel right and another not so right, but then another dancer might feel it's right.