2014 Weather Thread

Aniseteph

:( not fair.. all we get is rain. But I shouldn't moan, the garden loves it and we've had a few sunny days to cheer us up.

Shanazel

Yesterday the temp was hovering around the high eighties and I was scrambling to find something cool enough to wear. Today we're back in the low sixties and I'm glad I have some clean long sleeved tee shirts.

Ah, springtime in the Rockies. We had one exquisitely PERFECT spring day then- bam! Straight into headed out grasses and full summer one day then back to chilly early spring the next.

Darshiva

I'm really hating winter right now. Normally I don't really care that much but it's super cold and the neighbours are burning something EVIL in their fireplace, which isn't drawing properly so OUR place is ending up full of really noxious smoke.

Not happy!

Shanazel

Thunderstorms interspersed with clear skies. We've been through the cycle at least half a dozen times today. The plants are loving it and so is our water bill. We had such a long, cold winter this year that I feel like I have emerged from some kind of ark onto dry land and into sunshine.

Condolences on the noxious fumes. One of our neighbors ran a racing car garage next to his house for years. At night he used to burn stuff in his barrels that should've been disposed of in other ways. Talk about noxious and obnoxious! No telling what we were exposed to over the years.

Greek Bonfire

This was the worst weather I lived through. It is now June and we still cannot get a solid breakthrough of spring/summer. We get a few warm days then the temperature drops back down and wearing coats again. This is just too much.

Suzanne Azhaar

Enough with 40 days in the desert, an over abundance of grasshoppers (not Biblical proportions, but Jiminy!) and again with the neighbor burning Evil stuff from eight to nine p.m. Every summer I just know they're saying in their most educated idiot speak, "98 degrees?! Honey, start the BBQ!" :protest:

On the bright side~ not risking frost bite dancing in costume.

Shanazel

Oh, dear. Poor you. Albuquerque is not on the top of my list of places to summer. Right at this minute, we have perfectly beautiful weather. It could, of course, change by 5:00. (It is now 4:40.) Thunderstorms predicted this week.

Darshiva

My favourite thing to do of a summer afternoon is to sit on the verandah, beer in hand, watching a storm. Of course, since I moved down south we get storms in the morning, which totally broke my brain for the first 7 or so years living down here!

Shanazel

It is now 8:28, the sky is overcast, the wind is cold and from the northeast, and it looks like a storm is brewing. It all actually started about 5:30.

Tolja.

Daimona

It is supposed to be summer, but when I got out this morning it was 2 C and fresh snow on the surrounding mountains (down to 200 m.a.s.l.). Darn, it even snowed during the day, even though the temperature got up to 7 C.

You've just got to love woolen sportswear in conditions like this...

Last edited:

Shanazel

Oh, Dai, you make me feel so much better about Wyoming's weather.

Now having said that, I've guaranteed we'll have a hail storm with golf ball sized stones sometime in the next forty-eight hours. I just finished planting my patio garden yesterday so I reckon we can expect floods, drought, or snow soon.

I've rarely done field work in the snow (one of the perks of having been a field botanist) but I've done it in blazing sun and howling winds that suck the moisture from one's soul never mind skin. I was drinking a gallon and a half of water in a twelve hour day and barely keeping from drying up. Seriously. Ah, I miss field work. Tomorrow we're going to join a friend who teaches paleontology for a day in the field; my husband is going to teach a class on jade deposits in the area. I'm just going to lounge around in the shade (assuming I can find any) and be decorative.

allinorah

So, I read Daimona's post while sitting in my bikini on a beach. It was actually rather cool for the beach (high 70s - I like at least in the 80s for the beach) and the water was refreshingly cold (i.e. took forever to get in and then my carpal tunnel acted up so I had to get out). It's been an awkward spring for us out here in New England, but tolerable. At least no storms.

Safran

I was in Dubai this morning, and even two minutes walking on the street will fry you... and I keep telling everyone how I will fly back to the Estonian summer soon, and what perfect weather it is... only to come to my computer, open the news and find out that it is snowing back home!

So here I sit with the newly-gained appreciation to 45 degrees Celsius and scorching sun :whistle:

Shanazel

I'm not a fan of super hot weather. I grew up where the summers are a century long and hit the hundred-teens regularly. Recall a few days that crept up toward 120 F and you can keep 'em. I'll take our erratic springs and too-short summers over fry your brains heat! Are you returning to Estonia permanently or for a vacation?

walladah

Darshiva, and all my good dance friends,

this is exactly what we face this year in Greece!

No winter at all, even in my homeland where winters are really tough (snow, 10-15 below zero a regular phenomenon in January or February, etc).

And NO SUMMER! actually, something like summer started 15 days ago, May and early june was more autumn-like with bad weather and low temperatures. I repented having not gone to the beach in January because temperatures were similar to what we had 10 days ago )(about 26-27 celsius).

The most recent joke in Greece is that the government has sold out summer too, along with beaches and everything else.

As a Thracian, i can handle low temperatures in summer, but people around are wearing good clothing....

of course, i have not used my winter coats, sweaters, boots for some years now. It is too warm.

Daimona

Ah.. finally some nice weather. The sun is shining, almost no skies and the temperature is rising. Is isn't exactly warm, but compared to the temperatures we've had the last two weeks it is relatively warm....

Daimona

The storm season is here again.

Here is a video from one of the storms hitting Norway last year:
[video=youtube_share;rKUipxR3bDc]http://youtu.be/rKUipxR3bDc[/video]

Shanazel

Looks like a normal November day in Wyoming. ;) If the wind ever stops blowing here we all fall over sideways, so used are we to bracing ourselves against it. No wonder so many Norwegians settled in this part of the USA- the weather made them feel right at home!

Got brisk winds right now blowing in our next winter storm. It is already snowing in the northwestern part of the state and will probably get to us tonight. Friday the temps were in the high 70s and low 80s- Fahrenheit, of course. Sky is still blue right now with just a tinge of gray heralding a change in weather so I think I'll go take the horses out for a ride while I can. It has been a beautiful Indian Summer and I hop this storm won't quite be the end of it. I'm not ready for long term bad weather yet- we had a very late very short summer this year.